Files, Music, Videos, Pictures

I previously had the WD TV Live Plus and when you would select any of the mentioned modes it would play all of them. Example: If I selected “movies”, it would play my music and display my pictures too. This new version does things differently. When you select “movies”, it will not play music or show pictures. When I chose the “Files” mode, it will play all my attached media (streamed from my pc). The question is why give 4 mode choices when “files” plays them all ?

I would think the obvious reason was to to enable the user to select the type of files they wanted to play without being shown files they don’t want. You could have thousands of music files together with thousands of photos and videos. If you want to play a video you do not want to see music files or photos. It makes more sense if you have the media library on.

So the media library combines all available media into one giant folder ? Does it also combine different sources into one folder (ex: usb, nas, shares, etc) ? Because if it doesn’t, I don’t see the point in the media library.

Also, when I fire up my box it’s in VIDEO by default. Can I change this ?

So the media library combines all available media into one giant folder?

Only if that’s the FILTER you are using…  Or it can display the folder structure you already have, or other modes, too.

Does it also combine different sources into one folder

Yes, it can…  But it doesn’t have to.

Also, when I fire up my box it’s in VIDEO by default. Can I change this ?

No, but you can assign a Remote Hotkey to any function you choose.