Files from NAS visible but do not play

I have recently purchased a WDTV Live. The main purpose was to be able to play files from my NAS which is a Buffalo CloudStation. 

I connected the WDTV to my network and proceeded to update it to the latest firmware. Then I went to look for my files on my NAS which appeared with thumbnails with no problem whatsover. 

The problem is that I was not able to play any files from the NAS, and all I got was a circling orange arrow. 

Also, before purchasing a WDTV Live, I used to use my PS3 which did an excellent job in playing my NAS files, and the files i tried playing on the WDTV Live worked just fine and instantly on the PS3.

I apologise if this has been resolved in another thread. The worse feeling ever is when you buy new electronics and find a problem the instance you turn them on! :frowning:

Hmm, it’s been 10 hours since your post, and no one has replied.  Maybe you have this gang of users stumped.  Suggest you CALL WD support and get some assist if no one comes to your aid here.  I would help you if I could, but this issue does sound confusing. 

1 Like

Thanks for the reply mark, i guess i will email WD and see what they say.

What exactly are the files that don’t play. It may be that one or more are ‘bad’ which means the player will hang up and not play any file until a repower. When I say ‘bad’ I mean bad according to the WD player, they may very well play OK on other players.

Repower the player and try a different file for a start. Are we talking about music or video files. If its video files where did they come from.

How are you connecting the NAS and the WDTV?

When I first got my SMP’s, I was trying to connect them via the “media server” function, and that only half worked. I did some reading and then tried the Network Share connection and it worked great.

Make sure everything is the same workgroup/home group - that was another stumbling block when I first got one.

I will try repowering to see if other video files (downloaded from torrent) play, I also have not tried playing of a USB or external hardrive. If the same files play, could be a network problem then.

My NAS is connected via Ethernet to the router, and the WDTV wirelessly.

I have tried both the media server and share options, both show all NAS files but just give me a rotating arrow when I play a file.

ab_83 wrote:

I will try repowering to see if other video files (downloaded from torrent) play, I also have not tried playing of a USB or external hardrive. If the same files play, could be a network problem then.

Torrent files, that could be your problem. For some reason a lot of these type of downloads are encoded in a strange way which the WD player does not like. 

We need full disclosure from people who say a file can’t play.  I have no empathy for people who get a file from a torrent and then complain.  If someone hasn’t made the file himself, then they ought to just remain silent, and not waste people’s time who try to help them.  I make all my files, and they all play.