File types

I dragged and dropped a new .mpg file into my video directory on an external harddrive.

WDTVLive doesn’t display it on the screen.

Does it have to be a certain type/flavor of mpg file? (and how do I find out what kind of mpg I have?)

here is a schematic of my system:

WDTVLive - wired connection - Dlink DIR628 - Wired connection - Home PC (Vista32) - USB connection - External HD.

Any help appreciated.

The official website doesn’t explicitly state that “mpg” file extensions are valid…here is a cut-n-paste from the official website:

Media File Formats Supported on the original WD TV HD Media Player(WDAVx00) (Based on Firmware Version 1.03.01)

Video WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MT2S, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

• MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.

• FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.

• The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension

Use a program like MediaInfo to see what the codecs are in that container (and post here).

Thanks for directing me to “mediaInfo” and for the quick reply…

(This short video was created by intervideo’s windvd creator. not sure if this is the first time I have tried it’s results with WDTVLive.)

PS my original post should have said WDTVLive doesn’t show the file in the menu/directory. All my other videos (from various sources) are there.

Container info…

Format                           : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 31.6 MiB
Duration                         : 2mn 0s
Overall bit rate                 : 2 210 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=15
Duration                         : 2mn 0s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 782 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 8 300 Kbps
Width                            : 352 pixels
Height                           : 240 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.704
Stream size                      : 25.5 MiB (81%)

Audio
ID                               : 128 (0x80)
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Duration                         : 1mn 59s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Video delay                      : -1ms
Stream size                      : 5.48 MiB (17%)

What’s the file extension?

As a general rule, MPEG-PS streams should be in a VOB container (so it should look something like “myfile.vob”).  If that isn’t that file’s extension you could try renaming it and seeing if will then play.  It’s possible that a VOB file may need to be in a certain folder structure (I don’t normally play anything other than MKV files but others here do play VOBs so they can provide more specfic help if you can’t get any further on this).

I have a related question.  Will this device work with image files of dvds?  I’m trying to find a format that can store all of the dvd information so that playing the file will be just like loading the disk into a player.  

TIA

erjohns wrote:

I have a related question.  Will this device work with image files of dvds?  I’m trying to find a format that can store all of the dvd information so that playing the file will be just like loading the disk into a player.  

TIA

The Live+ and the Live with version 1.03.x software WILL support DVD ISO images with full navigation support.