File Type Supported

Forgive me if this information is available elsewhere - I’ve been unable to find an answer.

I’m thinking of buying a TV Live.  The list of video file types supported is

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9  

I want to use it to watch TV programmes I’ve recorded with Windows Media Centre, which uses the *.DVR-MS file extension. As this isn’t included on the list am I correct to assume that this file type is not supported?

I’m confused because

(a) I would have thought I’m not the only person who would like to do this and it would be a glaring omission

(b) previous models listed *.DVR-MS as being supported.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Probably no longer supported as even Microsoft has indicated that DVR-MS is being replaced with the WTV format.

Seems a bit odd to me that WD would chose to disable compatibility with a file format because Microsoft may be about to change at some stage in the future.  Would users of Media Centre (which is Windows default TV recording product) not be one of WD’s biggest markets?

Well, if DVR-MS isn’t supported I’ll have to a manufacturer other than WD.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

MS-DVR files ARE supported. Support is indicated in the list of CONTAINER files supported.

I routinely play MS-DVR files on my WD TV Live. The video plays great. I stream the files from my HTPC, connected via Ethernet cable.

There are two glitches, however. The unit does not pass through DD5.1 stream through the Toslink audio cable, as it does for other containers (MKV, etc.). I reported this on the “Ideas” page and suggested that this be corrected in a future firmware version. In the meantime, what you get is a stereo downmix of the DD5.1 audio.

Also, fast-forward and fast-back are imprecise, but that is a mere inconvenience.

–PhillyTim

That’s more like it.  Thanks for sharing that.  Shame they couldn’t include that info in the list of types of video files supported in the product specifications section of the website :dizzy_face:

Hi, interested to read your reply. I had exactly the same question.

Can I double check this though, as the DVR-MS file type is listed against the older version of the player, but not the hew one?

technophobe wrote:

Hi, interested to read your reply. I had exactly the same question.

Can I double check this though, as the DVR-MS file type is listed against the older version of the player, but not the hew one?

The manual for the WDTV Live lists DVR-MS as a supported video container.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

user manual (click button on right of above link page)

page 8 and 168 of manual (page 12 and 172 of pdf)

1 Like

rich thank you so much for this, I can now invest with assurance!

Much appreciated.