File transfer kills wireless connection

The last while when I try to transfer a file from my PC to my WD MyCloud NAS the connection dies after less than a minute. The NAS is connected to a Netgear 7550 wireless modem / router via Cat5e. My laptop does NOT lose its connection. The PC uses a TP-Link TP-WN851ND, Channel 1.  I can successfully transfer files to my Seagate GoFlex Home NAS. What gives?

Hi,

Are all the devices gigabit connection?

What’s the bandwidth of your connection?

I’m going to try a static IP instead of DHCP. The connection is wireless over a 802.11n network.

tried static IP. 3.4GB file stopped after less than 100K transferred. Received same message as before. Transfers to Seagate GoFlex of same files work fine. Transfering from Seagate to WD MyCloud results in lost connection.

Followed advice from WD Tech Support. Attached new cable to different router port. Reset Factory sttings under Utilitites. Tried to reboot twice but unt times out. Have I now lost 100GB of data?

Here it is February 6 and I still lose the wireless connection when I try to back up files to my unit. I’m going to see if the new firmware corrects the problem. If not, then this will be the first **bleep** hardware I’ve ever bought from WD in 20 years.

Your wifi connection is from your computer to your modem/router. What kind of speed do you have from your connection and signal quality? Have you tried to diagnose the problem? How close to the modem/router is your computer that you are using to transfer files? The image below is from my 2.4 GHz connection.

WDMyCloudWiFicon.JPG

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

cat0w - Here’s my status:

wireless.png

I have similar problems when using Win 8.1, but not Win 7 Pro.

Setup is:

Router:        Asus RT AC66u (4 port gigabit) firmware 3.0.0.4.376_2524 (latest public build)

Source:        Netgear Readynas Duo v1 connects direct to router

Destination: WD Mycloud Firmware 4.1.2-417. Direct connection to router.

Copy about 15,000 MP3 files using robocopy:

robocopy \readynas\data\Music\mp3  “\mywdcloud\Public\Shared Music\mp3” /s /fft

When the command is from a PC running Windows 7 on a wireless connection all is OK.

When I do the same command on a PC running Windows 8.1 it fails after several hundred files. Robocopy hangs (no connection to source) and Wireless icon shows ‘!’. If I dsconnect and then reconnect to the wireless network it the copy continues. The router has both 2.4HHz and 5GHz networks. I get the same problem on both connections.

Network connection to both computers is generally very stable and problem free. Both computers fully uo to date running Avira Internet Security and Malwarebytes Pro.

Looks like OS may be significant factor.

DrBob18 wrote:

I have similar problems when using Win 8.1, but not Win 7 Pro.

Setup is:

Router:        Asus RT AC66u (4 port gigabit) firmware 3.0.0.4.376_2524 (latest public build)

Source:        Netgear Readynas Duo v1 connects direct to router

Destination: WD Mycloud Firmware 4.1.2-417. Direct connection to router.

Copy about 15,000 MP3 files using robocopy:

Looks like OS may be significant factor.

I would say part OS and part drive likely.

There are two garbage services indexing / thumbnailing everything you transfer.  Kill those. 15,000 files is likely choking those services

SMB is terrible.  SMB over wireless has to be unbearable for bulk transfers.

I wish more people would be able to use NFS with the MYCLOUD but you need ultimate/enterprise or use third party software:

http://serverfault.com/questions/190020/are-there-any-free-nfs-clients-for-windows-7

I found alousy workaround. I tranfer the files to my Seagate NAS and then move them to the WD. I guess Seagate has NFS better implemented and that as both NAS are connected to the router with 5e, wireless isn’t involved.

Did you actually try NFS with MyCloud? It doesn’t really work. As soon as you start transferring a big file, the NFS processes hang at 100% CPU and the transfer hangs (NFS may recover 1+ hour later).

There is a post on here describing how to possibly fix it with some NFS mount options.

Gerald55 wrote:

Did you actually try NFS with MyCloud? It doesn’t really work. As soon as you start transferring a big file, the NFS processes hang at 100% CPU and the transfer hangs (NFS may recover 1+ hour later).

There is a post on here describing how to possibly fix it with some NFS mount options.

If you don’t mount NFS correctly, it won’t work correctly.  NFS shouldn’t “hang.”

Interestingly enough, WD is going to send me another MyCloud to test & see if the problem continues to exist. I just need to send my current unit back for them to autopsy.

So, how does one mount NSF on a MyCloud with a Win 7 SP1 PC?