File structure on ex2

My apologies if this has already been covered, I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything.

I love my ex2, have had it for about a month and it does exactly what I want it to. I am currently backing everything thing up to add a second drive and set it up for raid 1 (I was being frugal sun I bought it and only bought one drive)

I am a little old school (and ocd) when it comes to how I organize my files. Is there any way to turn off the automatic organization and shares of the ex2 so that I can manage the file structure and folders myself??

Thanks in advance.

You can manage and organize files as needed within your shares when they are copied directly (Manually).

That is my problem, when I copy my files over manually, the ex2 're arranges everything into the shares. I don’t want to have the “share folders”. I would like to be able to manage It as if it was a hard drive connected to my pc.

Cdn_Twitch wrote:
…when I copy my files over manually, the ex2 're arranges everything into the shares. I don’t want to have the “share folders”. I would like to be able to manage It as if it was a hard drive connected to my pc.

It actually does not rearrange anything inside the shares…say you create a Share called Documents and then store a bunch of files/folders on it, then nothing gets rearranged within that Documents flder (share).

But if you are referring to looking at the directory structure via SSH, then of course the directory structure is different with many other files, etc. The EX2 is obviously NOT just a hard drive connected to your PC…EX2 is a small computer in and of itself with it’s own Linux OS. If you needed just a hard drive, then get just a hard drive…why would you get a NAS like EX2??

I wanted a nas so that I could store media in one place and use it on my tv, wdtv, phone, tablet, computer, stereo. Which is why I would like to manage it in a specific manner.

I am not sure what “specific manner” that you really require it to be in…but now I realize what you meant about rearranging files…you hadn’t specified in your original post that you were talking about how the files are shown in a DLNA client (like TV, WDTV, phone, etc.).

Well, couple things:

First, there’s two things involved with DLNA streaming - the DLNA server (EX2) and a DLNA client (TV, tablet, etc.). The DLNA metadata (i.e. filenames) served up by the DLNA server is pretty much same across all DLNA compliant servers as they adhere to the DLNA standard…but stuff like file sort order by date or filename is upto the client…in my case my Sony bluray player can sort by filename or by file date. It will vary from client to client and this sorting is not upto the DLNA server.

Second, don’t forget, there is some level of control/customization available if you go to the Twonky server’s page (the DLNA server on the EX2) by going to http://<EX2’s local IP>:9000  (port 9000 is the Twonky server’s admin page). I for example have chosen to only include a couple folders on my attached USB drive so that not allmedia files are scanned and served up but just two specifc ones. You can customize which folders you want to be scanned and served up - though all subfolders underneath those specified folders will automatically be included) and then aso specify which media types you want to scan those folders for…for example if you have a mixed media folder but simply want MP3s to be served up you can specify Twonly to scan for audio file types only for that folder. This is available under the Sharing settings from Twonky’s admin web page.

Finally, for this media sharing functionality you could have not used a NAS at all and used free DLNA server software running on a PC or Mac, like the excellent Universal Media Server amongst other choices. Then you’d have more control over the folders and manage the files in a specific manner.

1 Like

Thanks. I found what I needed in the Twonky setting page. That makes life way easier.