File sizes in WD external backup (using WD Backup)

When viewed in MS File Explorer “Properties”, the file sizes on the WD external backup drive are way smaller than the sizes of the original files on my D-Drive. Why?

Hi,

Where are you selecting the files from?
If you are using WD software and opened the WD xxx.swstor folder and worked your way to a History folder you will see very small sizes. The History folder only keeps track of updates to the files.The actual files are in a folder named Volumexxxxx in the same folder with History.

Cliff

Had to modify this due to rule that I can’t include more than 2 illustrations.

I have removed 2 “illustrations” and now re-send.

Please see below.

Thanks.

Charlie

Charlie,
You do not answer my question. Where are you getting the properties from the back up drive? The location name listed in the second image is incomplete. Is it a History folder or a Volume folder. You need to use the Volume folder.

Cliff,

This is the Passport drive display in MS File Explorer:

As you can see, there are two “Volume” folders; one is within the “History” folder and the other is under “ZGJmMGQxxxxx” as is “History”.

The folder I chose, “022. CEL PHOTOS”, has a TINY size in BOTH Volume folders.

As noted in my earlier email, the folder “022. CEL PHOTOS”, on the original D-Drive, has 1.62 TB; 55,403 files; etc.

“ …when I go into the backup file on the Passport, using MS File Explorer à Properties, for the same folder (022. CEL PHOTOS), not in ‘History’, but under the second ‘Volume{cc8d2bf4 ……}, I get 174 GB:

If I go to the same folder [022. CEL PHOTOS] in the ‘Volume{xxxxxx} folder under ‘History’****, I get: 4.00 KB, 18,208 files!

If I do ‘Properties’ for the main folder on the Passport, “WD Backup.swstor”, I get 84.7 MB, 274 files!

Which is REALLY a mystery, since it contains ALL of the backup files, which, in total, even using the ‘Properties’ info above, are much larger that the main file that contains them !!!

Even MORE mysterious is that, if I do “Properties” for the entire backup Passport (that has nothing on it other than the backup of my D-Drive), I get 1.65 TB which is, indeed, about the size of my entire D-Drive.

In short, the entire backup Passport logically contains 1.65 TB, the correct size of the D-Drive it is backing up, but, according to MS Explorer Properties, the sole folder in the root of the Passport contains only 84.7 MB (?!?!)

In summary, I have

Original entire D-Drive: 1.65 TB

Entire Passport external backup drive: 1.65 TB (this is logical – same size as the drive being backed up)

BUT:

WD Backup.swstor (the only, and the main, or root, folder on the Passport): 84.7 MB, 274 files [how can this happen?]

Volumexxx under WD Backup.swstor à Charles à ZGJmMGxxxxx à History à Volume{cc8d2bxxxx} à CEL Photos: 4.0 KB, 274 files

Volumexxx under WD Backupl.swstor à Charles à ZGJmMGxxxxx à Volume{cc8d2bxxxx} à CEL Photos: 1.74 GB, 10,622 files

I have also backed up my desktop D-Drive to a separate external WD ‘My Book’ 8TB drive, using the same WD Backup software, and I get similar results as with the ‘Passport’ external, so I conclude there is no defect in the ‘Passport’ external.

I admit I am pretty much a novice with computers, but I am very worried that, if my desktop Dell (containing the original D-Drive) ever crashes, my WD backups won’t be complete or useable at all.

On the other hand, it looks to me like there must be some explanation as to why the folders on the “Passport” show tiny files, while the entire Passport shows same size as the drive it is backing up. But if this is so, why doesn’t WD offer an explanation?

Any help or explanation appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie

HI Charlie,

Since you are using WD Backup, try opening Restore at the top of the Backup screen. Then “Select Files to Restore” (it won’t restore at this point.) It will work for a while finding the files on the drive (see the small circle). On the right it will show the dates and times of past backups. One will be selected. In the left box select a main folder and a sub folder. It will show you the actual filenames and you might be able to open one. Look through the folders and see if you are getting the results you need.

You might just be able to restore some to a new location on your D drive. If that works, you should be ok!!

Oh, by the way, My backups seem to use nearly twice as much space as in the source drive! Just overhead for the backup history I guess.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff!

Charlie