File shares on My Book Essential

Is it possible to enable file shares on this drive that’s connected to my server computer and that network users actually can access the files shares. I don’t know how the WDSmartWare program acts if you reboot a computer, is it instantly accessible without having to login to the server computer and insert the password from SmartWare?

If you don’t get it, please tell me and I’ll try to explain better! :slight_smile:

To all people still searching/awaiting an answer, I recenty contacted Western Digital’ support. This is the response I got from them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

[deleted for privacy]

In response to your inquiry; when setting up the WD Smartware software it gives you the option to password protect it, this is not a requirement it is an option, to access the drive you have to enter your password first. If you remove the security feature then it will never ask you for a password.

Answer Title: How to set up security in order to lock and unlock a WD (+ SmartWare) external drive
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3741

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,