File naming for scraping

clawmark wrote:

_My movie files are named just as the movie title. I would like to scrape to add artwork, info etc. _Does the source recognise these simple titles, or does the filemane need to be in a precribed form before it can be seen?

If I DO need to convert to a format based on dot-separation or underscore-separation or some metadata-intelligent protocol, is there a web service/utility I can use to point my files at and have it do the rename like you can with audioi/albums/tracks? 

Trancer

Thank you for the kind welcome and for offering help. 

My opening question asks whether a fliename needs to conform to any particular format/content/arrangement in order to be recognised, as I have simply named my movie files with the movie’s name. I was concerned in case there was a need for dot/comma/underscore separation, and/or to incorporate the release date for example, codec/conversion info, or any of that other detail.

The supplementary question was looking to see whether there is a website/utility/source where, if required, the plain name could be auto-upscaled in to the right format and content, just like there are places where a music file can be upgraded to enable album art etc to be fetched.

Happily, I see that Joey Smyth has confirmed when answering another question of mine, linked here in case of use to others coming along afterward http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/One-large-external-drive-or-2-smaller-ones/td-p/871201  that the plain Film-Title form of naming is perfectly satisfactory and readily recognisable for the purpose of scraping info, poster art, etc for films.

As to bulk renaming, I have that covered as below thanks if ever I need to do straightforward bulk renaming. 

Dave O

Thanks for the referral, no doubt a useful utility.

If it helps in return, I have long used Bulk Rename Utility  http://download.cnet.com/Bulk-Rename-Utility/3000-2248_4-10174242.html and usual places and direct, which is free and allows easy direct and progressive batch renaming with many variables, substitution, insertion, deletions, a lot more … has handled complex renaming requirements and extensive lists.