File Name Converted To Directory

I have a WD TV Live HD  Media Player and WD My Passport 500gb USB3 drive NTFS format.

Every firmware after 1.06.15_V causes directories with the same name as existing mp4 files to be created.

The original file is then not accessable and the created directory is also not accesable.

I would like to keep the 1.06.43_V firmware as it fixes a problem of some mp4 files not playing but it is no good if it scrambles the hard drive.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution

Thanks

Did you tried rolling back to the old firmware version? 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Yes. I rolled back to 1.06.15 because I i know that version is OK…

I would like to update to 1.06.43 because it seems to have updated codecs.

grum54 wrote:

Yes. I rolled back to 1.06.15 because I i know that version is OK…

I would like to update to 1.06.43 because it seems to have updated codecs.

Were you able to then access your files?  After rolling back?

Once the filesare corrupted into sub directories they are no longer accessable…

Version 1.06.15 does not cause any corruption to the usb hard drive.

What would be good is Ver 1.06.15 with just the updated video codecs from Ver 1.06.43 but this obviously is not going to happen.

I am assuming the harddisk drivers have been changed in versions after 1.06.15 and this is causing the problem

What updated video codecs?

There were a few mp4 files that Ver1.06.15 would not play even though they worked fine on my laptop. In the short time I had Ver1.06.43 installed I was  was able to play a couple of these files so I am assuming the mp4 codecs had been updated.

MP4 is a container which can hold many codecs. You’d need to use Mediainfo to verify what new codecs (if at all) are supported.

Whether or not Ver1.06.43 contains new codecs  is really irrelevant.

The problem is why it scrambles my hard drive.

I can re-encode video files that don’t play but if the files are converted to sub directories they are stuffed which no re-encoding is ever going to fix!

Of course. And data corruption is an absolute no-no. However, I’ve been on 1.06.34 for a while and none of my discs get corrupted so it seems yet again hard to reproduce this.

grum54 wrote:

Whether or not Ver1.06.43 contains new codecs  is really irrelevant.

The problem is why it scrambles my hard drive.

I can re-encode video files that don’t play but if the files are converted to sub directories they are stuffed which no re-encoding is ever going to fix!

It is possible that there was corruption already on the drive.  I’m not saying this to excuse the possibility that there is something off with firmware, cause we are looking into this.  However, if this is an isolated incident, then it stands to reason that there may have been something already wrong with the file system, or some of the files.  

The problem first occurred when Ver1.06.34 was installed.

I rolled back to Ver1.06.15 and have not had a problem till installing Ver1.06.43.

Within 1-2 days using Ver1.06.43 the problem reoccurred.

If the hard drive is at fault it seems odd that it works fine with 1.06.15 but within a couple of days of using the later updates the corruption occurs.

So do you use the media library? I don’t so the only writing done to my hardware is

ph.db

ph.journal

video_resume_point_table

which hasn’t yet corrupted anything, probably because I also always eject drives manually.

How do you eject the drives manually. I don’t recall seeing any option to do this.

I press the home key when finished then turn off the media player.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/My-WD-TV-Live-is-deleting-video-files-from-my-hard-drive/m-p/533848/highlight/true#M17177

I reinstalled Ver1.06.43 then played a few videos.

I then manually ejected the drive before turning off the media player.

I checked the drive on my computer and same problem has occurred.

The corrupted files are are in directories that were not accessed.

I then reinstalled Ver1.06.15.