File creation date?

Hi.

I used the exiftool under Linux Mint. I think the other tools mentioned do nothing else.
I’ve decided to return the ex2ultra back to amazon and ordered a qnap ts-231k instead. I give up with WD-■■■■-NAS. No secure-Connections (sftp, https for the gui), not fixing of bugs, no support, thats what I read so far about problems with WD, no good working Android-App. Dokumentation for the ex2ultra is ■■■■ and shows options that no longer exist. The Apps for the ex2ultra are useless for an Home-User except the plex-app. But there is no usefull dokumentation for installing and configuration.
Bye WD

@PierpaoloDec The photo is dated in 2012.
Question:
What version of Android OS is your HTC Wildfire S A510e today?

Hi, that phone is dead from about 7-8 years.
The jpg file took with that phone was uploaded in google drive and in last years was saved on the myCloud.

If now i download the picture from myCloud in a android 10 phone i can see the creation date in the EXIF while the myCloud is unable to do it.

I hope this is the answer you was looking for

What is the make and model of your current Android 10 Phone?

OnePlus nord CE EB2103.
But I think we are focusing in the wrong way.
If I create a copy of that picture via ssh directly in my cloud the problem is the same. Why are you investigating the phone?

Hi,
here another example where the Data taken is present, but in the gallery the data is shown as “Today”.
@SBrown Please let me know if you need the file to be uploaded in the support request. It’s enought to debug the problem?

Hello,

I found this thread looking for a solution to the same issue listed here but it seems that there is no easy solution at the moment.
I agree with your point, if no information from EXIF data is available, the creation date should be used for sorting the pictures and the videos. The issue, though, seems not to be explained correctly. The problem we all have is that the creation date on the mobile phone is correct, say 10/10/2010, but when it get synchronized for the first time with the MyCloud unit via mobile OS5 app, say on 01/01/2021, the file is created with the 01/01/2021 date and not the “real” creation date of 10/10/2010.
This leads to a situation where, when initializing a new unit, all the old picture without EXIF data gets all sorted in the same “startup day” even if their creation date in the original folder is correct.

Long story short: is it possible to fix MyCloudOS5 mobile app to backup data on the MyCloud unit folder (NAS) with the same date attributes they have in the original folder (mobile)?

Thank you.
F

1 Like

Hello @WDStaff, @SBrown,
how are going analysis on provided informations?

We hope no news, good news coming :wink:
…maybe we’ll have the fix before next spring (reindexing permitting)…

Hi all,
i see that @WDsupport closed the support request 211127-000181 with the following note:

We have escalated this issue to our engineering department for further review, analysis and issue duplication. Any fix would come in the form of an over the air device app, software or firmware update.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide a schedule as to when a release will occur. We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Seems that beeing closed i’ll not receive any new updates on the status.
Should we expect to see the fix in future release note? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @WDsupport,
we’re 6 month later, but the problem is still there. Could we know something about the development of the fix found in the support request 211127-000181?

Thanks,
Pierpaolo

1 Like

I seem to recall this being a reported BUG since the initial release of the OS/5 software.

2 Likes

Hello. The problem is with the NAS. It automatically changes the date to the upload date and doesn’t display anything else. When photos and videos are downloaded from your phone they contain a file name as the identifier. When you upload them to the NAS it won’t put them in the correct order. I’ve figured out a solution to get them in the order taken. I download the photos to my PC using AnyTrans software. It’s very fast and will capture all photos and videos. I then use a piece of software called Rename Expert. It has a number of ways to rename the files including the date taken information. I change the names to the date taken and also add a number sequence in case the date taken is a duplicate with another photo. When I run the program it automatically renames the files with date/time information. When I upload the photos and videos to the NAS it will automatically sort by that file name which will put them in the order I took them. This is the only way I can figure it out so They are sorted correctly.

Hello again @WDsupport,
I can see that there are some (bad) news. Now the creation time is 2 hour ahead than the real time of the picture.
Obviously the time of the nas is up to date.

Maybe some wrong calculation with UTC time? :thinking:

P.S.: for the issue reported here, it’s still giving the date of the upload of the picture, not the real date present in exif data.

1 Like

Soooo… I’m new to all of this but seem to be up and running. However I’ve noticed the same thing - when using backup feature for iphone, all photos/videos now have the same date in the folder view (however the system DOES know the actual date of the photo as it’s shown when scrolling through the photos.)

This is horrible and pretty much renders the backup as a tool to use for viewing photos useless.

Am I missing something??

No; you are not missing anything.

This basic functionality was broken from the start; and the problem has never even been acknowledged.

One of several reasons I have abandoned OS/5 on the one NAS that was running it.

I’m also experiencing this. My pics are “shifted” 3 hours (i’m in GMT-3) when I upload files without mobile app or webbrowser. If I upload using mobile app or os5.mycloud.com there’s no problem. The problem is in the firmware that’s not reading correctly EXIF data into the NAS database.
If you reset the NAS, all pics are once again shifted GMT-3, or wherever you are, when the database is rebuild, even if they were upload via mobile app.

Hello, I had the exact same issue when importing old pictures to my WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra. For most of the files I was importing, the Creation Date was correctly set to the “Date Taken” tag of the picture. But for the files coming from my old BlackBerry phone (several thousands of files), the tags were ignored and pictures were assigned to “today”

I started to dig in the problem and tried various alternatives:

1. Removing all tags in Windows and applying only “Date Taken” did not work
  2. Changing all the various dates like “Modified Date”, “Creation Date” and “Last Access Date” did not work either
  3. Opening the picture in a photo editor and copy pasting the image in a new image and then applying “Date Taken” worked, but this is not practical
  4. One of my test cases was creating a copy of the image (Bitmap copy in .Net) and applying only the “Date Taken” to the new file and this worked
  5. When I tried to do the same as #4 but with all tags it failed! So it must be one of the EXIF tags!!!
  6. I generated multiple versions of the same file with various combination of tags and found the one that makes the import fail to use the tags. It was a tag 0xa40b (DeviceSettingDescription) EXIF Tags

This tag is not visible from the properties window in Microsoft Windows, so it’s impossible to remove it manually. Removing this tag from the original picture makes the import works and correct date to be applied. So I wrote some PowerShell code that loops through the files in a folder and remove this tag if it’s present:
using namespace System.Drawing
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Drawing
foreach($file in Get-ChildItem -Path ‘.*.jpg’)
{
$image = New-Object -TypeName System.Drawing.Bitmap -ArgumentList $file.FullName
if($image.PropertyIdList -contains “41995”)
{
Write-Output $file.FullName
$oldpath = $file.FullName
$newpath = $file.FullName.Replace(“.jpg”, “_copy.jpg”)
$image.RemovePropertyItem(“41995”)
$image.save($newpath)
$image.Dispose()
Remove-Item $oldpath
Move-Item -Path $newpath -Destination $oldpath
}
}

And here is some code to inspect the list of tags for a specific picture:
using namespace System.Drawing
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Drawing
$image = New-Object -TypeName System.Drawing.Bitmap -ArgumentList “C:\IMG_0001.JPG”
foreach($id in $image.PropertyIdList) {
[System.String]::Format(“{0:X}”,$id)
}

Now I can watch 22 years of pictures with the right date assigned to each one!

I hope this will help

Great! Seems a good way that could help @WDsupport to definitely fix the problem, I hope…