Few issues at the moment

Hi guys, just looking for some help. I bought 2 new wd live players, just liked the idea of being able to play mkv files on my lcds! I found later about the DTS issue, which I am unhappy with but will live with it lol. So my understanding from looking around is convert the audio to AC3. What program do you recommend and link please? I was going to try popcorn but everytime i download it i get a virus alert and can’t open it. I’ve googled and looked at a few forums on the subject and I haven’t been successful with a program yet. SO any help in those regards would be appreciated. Also I heard I could hook up the hdmi to a receiver and hook up an optical out for audio and that would allow me to play the DTS file (i have a new receiver assuming it can decode DTS). Any other options? one of my other lcds doesn’t have a receiver, but is connected to a pc…

And now, this part is weird. I have no idea what could be causing this or how to fix this. Sometimes the files play fine, and other times they just dont load. The file i just played five mins ago, gets stuck at loading screen as do all the other files. It was jus working five mins ago, i tried rebooting my external and wd player and its still stuck. It happened before on my other tv as well and other wd live player but it went away, and now its back. Anyone have this issue?

And should i do firmware updates? Easy?

Welcome to the forums.

I have no idea what you are talking about vis a vis DTS – the Live plays DTS files just fine, particularly in an MKV container.  You’ll have to give us more specifics on what your problem is.

And it would be helpful to post the MediaInfo on one of your files you’re having problems playing that won’t load.

Format : Matroska
File size : 6.55 GiB
Duration : 1h 59mn
Overall bit rate : 7 843 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-07-10 08:43:12
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.1.1 ('Bouncin' Back') built on Jul 3 2010 22:54:08
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 6 337 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.380
Stream size : 5.16 GiB (79%)
Writing library : x264 core 100 r1659 57b2e56
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=6337 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Audio
ID : 3
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size :

1.26 GiB (19%)

I hope you wanted something like this... anyways a lot of my files won't play sound when connected hdmi to tv, just ordered an optical cable heard that it will allow me to watch them that way with a receiver. I looked up that i need to convert DTS audio to AC3 as the wd live doesnt have a dts decoder due its rights being pricey...

Also im really having trouble even loading videos that used to play on it even on my crt screen, its really weird. It just stays on the loading screen and never appears...  what could be the reason for that? I have a new 1.5tb WD green drive and works fine to my knowledge.

The Live does indeed decode DTS – what it doesn’t do (and what ANY hardware player other than an actual blu-ray player doesn’t do) is decode DTS-HD.  The guys that own DTS are not about to license this technology to any other than a blu-ray player (because they don’t want to undercut the blu-ray player industry).

The problem you have is that file was muxed with a version of MKVMerge greater than 4.0 – at the present moment you shouldn’t be using any newer version.  However, you can remux using that version IF you go to both the video and audio tracks and turn off header compression (under track options).  Then all will be well.

Oh, and if your output device doesn’t decode DTS make sure you select “stereo” in the Live video/audio options (rather than “digital” – only select digital if your actual device will do the DTS/AC3 decoding).

How do i go to video and and audio tracks and turn off header compression? I have mkvmerge 4.0, but i think the file i presented to you was alreayd muxed with a new version…

and any idea on why my thing is freezing when trying to load a movie?

If you have version 4.0 just go ahead and remux with that version (the file you posted the info on was muxed with the version you need to turn compression off).

Once again, it depends on the file that is freezing – we’d need to see MediaInfo on it.  But if it was muxed with the newer MKVMerge it could indeed be the header compression (in that case, the video compression.  If it’s only the audio compression then it usually will play but without sound.  WIth the video header compressed it can also not play at all or freeze up).

Remux with those settings how? you got a link to what i should follow in terms of directions? I’ve come across many, and tried some over the past day but to no success. Also, this loading issue is happening with every file now. Files that were working before, aren’t loading anymore. So i am having a super huge issue as it is playing nothing anymore…   and is it normal for the wd player to get really hot when just plugged in but not powered on, having that issue with both units!

The heat issue doesn’t sound right – perhaps there is something wrong with one or both of them (which might explain why it can’t play your other files).

As long as you have MKVmerge version 4.0 or earlier all you need do is add your MKV file to it and remux – don’t change anything else and you should be fine.  (It’s later versions, like the ones that created those files in the first place, that are causing issues with the Live).

ill try remuxing without changing any settings and get back to you…

and now of all of a sudden the wd live player that wasnt loading is now loading them again properly… idk if this has to do with heat or or not im gonna keep it plugged in but not powered on and see if heats up and if that has any relationship to the loading.

thanks

remux worked for the movie i tried, thanks… will try that for the others in a few days going away for a bit, but yeah my wd live player gets warm whenever i just leave the ac outlet plugged into the player. The wd player isn’t on, but it just gets warm…its strange and i dont know what to do about it?

The Live *will* be warm (the new Plus units less so) because there is always power going through it (which is why it can start up quickly) but it shouldn’t get HOT – it should feel cool enough to hold in your hand, for example.  Most of us who care about this have it attached to a power strip that turns off (mine turns off automatically when I turn off my TV).

If it gets *hot* then there’s something wrong.

It doesnt get hot, id say more just warm even when powered off. So what would you recommend? a power strip that turns off? Never heard of that but just googled it. Seem a bit pricey, i have most of my equipment hooked up to large surge protectors, i guess i could buy one that cycles off for this device, any recommendations? Seem pricey for most part? Couldn’t find much with google.

thanks.

This is what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-Saving-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000P1QJXQ/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

I suppose it’s a *bit* pricey (although $25 for a good power strip doesn’t sound TOO high to me) but it works great.  I turn off my TV with my remote and then the Live goes off as well.

The only drawback is you lose your “bookmarks” (IOW, if you were playing a movie and then pause it the Live knows where it is at that point.  Unplugging or taking away the power completely will lose this).  Since I don’t often not finish what I’m watching this isn’t a factor for me but might be for you.

Thanks for your help. That link you provided, does that have a surge protector in it? Doesn’t seem too from the quick name description. I have so many surge protectors that I’d hate to buy another one of these things at such a price. Ever come across something smaller and cheaper, I’d just like to use it for my WD Player so it won’t get warm. I don’t mind manually turning it off, just find it to be a hassle for my parents. I just think they’ll forget to turn it off from the outlet.

rwilliams2929 wrote:

Thanks for your help. That link you provided, does that have a surge protector in it? Doesn’t seem too from the quick name description. I have so many surge protectors that I’d hate to buy another one of these things at such a price. Ever come across something smaller and cheaper, I’d just like to use it for my WD Player so it won’t get warm. I don’t mind manually turning it off, just find it to be a hassle for my parents. I just think they’ll forget to turn it off from the outlet.

It does have a surge protector in fact it has ’ Advanced Surge Protection with Superior EMI/RFI Filter’  

If don’t mind manually turning it off then just pull out the plug from the wall socket.

The whole point of the link I gave you is that once you plug your TV into it and then use the remote to turn your TV off it will also turn off anything else plugged into that device, so you have remote control over the power disconnection.

As Rich says, if you don’t need this just unplug the Live yourself.