Feedback and Request for Product Imporvement

[Deleted]

Senior  Marketing Manager MyCloud Personal Storage

Dear [Deleted]

I am writing this to you personally because maybe you can talk to you management about implementing some of the suggestions I am about to present. From watching the videos about your product you are obviously marketing it to end consumers ant not IT department geeks. Great !– Unfortunately you’ve seriously neglected to adequately educate these same end users on how to actually use it or understand how to set up. Since purchasing it about 4 months ago I have had numerous issues with file transfers and firewall settings and Network discovery issues. The problems were not due to failure of the product, but ridiculously complicated and hard to follow documentation and on line instructions.  Your Knowledge Base and support unfortunately are not much better. Here is the text of an email I received trying to figure out how to set up the firewall so that I could access the drive.

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.  My name is [Deleted].

_ In regard of your case, you will need to contact the manufacture of the firewall for further assistance. You just need to let them know that you wish to add the My Cloud on the exception list of the firewall to allow connection all the time.

Also you need to make sure the network services below are enabled on your computer.

-SSDP Discovery
-Network Access Protection Agent
-Network Connections
-Network List Service
-Network Location Awareness
-Network Store Interface Service
-UPnP Device Host

• Work Station
  • Server
  • Computer Browser
  • Net. TCP Port Sharing Service

You can verify that by clicking on the Start button and on the search bar, type services.msc then hit enter.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further._

Note: If you have not visited our community forums, please make sure to do so.  You may also find answer(s) to your question(s) there. Link to WD community forums at:  http://community.wdc.com .

Although I appreciated the response, I did not understand one word of it, nor had the slightest clue on how to actually DO the stuff he mentioned.

You have obviously gone to the expense and trouble to produce professional online videos to markets the great features and benefits of this product  – why don’t you do the same to show people how to set up and use it?

It does no good to tell people to perform such and such action when they are clueless as to where and how to even access that setting. I am quite sure that I am not the only person who feels this frustration with this product. Most people do NOT have more than a rudimentary understanding of networks.

I urge you to present these comments to your superiors and hopefully they will do something about it. 

Sincerely yours

[Deleted]