FEATURE REQUEST - USB-eth0 driver integration

Friends,

I hope that question has not been solved yet, but I couldn’t find any answer yet.

I would like to request the WD team to integrate usb ethernet drivers into the my cloud OS5 Debian.

The gbit interface is truly outdated by now and it would be really great if we could just plug in a 2.5 gbit or 5 gbit USB adapter. QNap has already shown that it works.

Link aggregation is of course an alternative, but I found it to be very cumbersome and requires one to transition to 10 Gbit managed switches that are very expensive, energy consuming and quite unnecessary in a private or SMB setting.

Is there any chance you would consider adding the feature to our PR4100’s?

Thanks a million,

Dom

I didn’t buy the adapter yet, not knowing which chipset would be supported by MyCloud OS.

Most 2.5 gbit adapters use Realtek chipsets, QNap has a Maxwell. Not sure what chipset is used by the PR4100, would guess Realtek, so maybe easier to use a Realtek usb 2.5 gbit

I would not hold my breath.

“Bleeding edge” are not words I would associate with the WD NAS lineups.

Really?

For giggles, I went to Amazon and typed “router”. Only one reference to 2.5gb wired ethernet - - on a $600 router that had 21% 1 star reviews. (and I am pretty sure the 2.5gb was for the WAN port, not the main intranet ports). I saw a few routers that were not even 1gb capable.

Honestly, I think most “home” users are wireless these days. . . .

Thank you so much!! Really great news if that is true.

Looking forward to your next post my friend :wink:

The 2.5gbps is RTL8156 for USB adapters