Feature Request: ISO files with .dvd extension

I love my WD TV Live Plus, but I can’t see all of my DVD collection because the ISO files have a .dvd extension to them. It would be nice if ISO files on Network Share with .dvd extension could be listed.

Uh, why don’t you just change the extension back to .ISO?

That would be way to much trouble since all the files are indexed with coverart and id3 tags associated to a LinuxMCE media center / home automation system and all existing files and database entries would need to be modified and all future files would always need to be manually modified. It would be far simpler to add a .dvd extension to the file filter of the WD Live when the directory is enumerated.

Apart from requests being expected in the ideas section WD’s huge backlog of bugs to be fixed suggests it would be far easier for them to let users who use crappy software to fix their files instead. Why use .dvd as extension when it’s an ISO?

mediaguru wrote:

That would be way to much trouble since all the files are indexed with coverart and id3 tags associated to a LinuxMCE media center / home automation system and all existing files and database entries would need to be modified and all future files would always need to be manually modified. It would be far simpler to add a .dvd extension to the file filter of the WD Live when the directory is enumerated.

Ok, I see…  It’d be far simpler for WD to customize their firmware to satisfy some odd, highly esoteric requirement…

I guess you could put it in the IDEAS LAB and see how many votes you get for it!

Thanks for the recommendation on the IDEAS LAB. I didn’t know there was that place.

And it is not crappy software. It is just different software. It linux!  It is highly advanced and automated. It automatically adds coverart to the advanced onscreen guide, imports the dvd title and description of content and names the disc. Its awesome, not crappy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Since it’s linux, write a perl or bash script that adds Symlinks to the .dvd files with a .iso extension.

Problem solved.

Linux rips it, but they are stored on Windows Shares.

Still no reason not to save as ISO, hence crappy.

The software is using a non-standard file extension, and whilst it’s an understandable one, the chances of WD updating the firmware to accommodate it is vanishingly small.

You might want to try asking the software developer to change their default from .DVD to .ISO (or at least provide a choice), since they’re the ones creating the problem here.  

The way I see it, the software should show all file types in the filter. That way it would not matter what the filename was as long as the data was valid.

You’re gonna draw the wrath of a thousand users if that suggestion ever happens…   Heck PC Operating systems don’t even play that game.   

An association is made by the file extension to the application.   If you change the extension of a JPG file to .GIF, they’re both image files so it should work, right?    NO, they’re totally different, so the GIF application will fail.

There is NO other practical method to determine WHAT the file is except for depending on the file’s NAME.