Faulty WD SE 16 in imac, how to get it recognised in vista

Hi,

I have an imac whose Hard Drive failed and would not mount and had to be replace, like an ■■■■■ I lost a good bit of info as I hadnt ran in back-up in quite a while. Anyway I got the faulty hard drive back and have been trying to get it to load on a PC to see if I can retrieve some of the info.

I am not a whizz on computers but the general jist is when i inserted the hard drive in the PC it requested me to install drivers and I did so succesfully, Vista will not recognise the hard drive in explorer but the drive is appearing in BIOS and the device manager so it is there. 

I am not sure but if I was to be able to designate a number to the drive would explorer recognise it then, in drive management this option is greyed out. I was told to set the drive as a slave drive but as far as I am aware this drive is dual anyway. When it comes to jumpers etc… it has 8 pins and correct me again if i am wrong put I dont think jumpers are neccessary in this case to set it as a slave. How would I go about setting it eclusively as a slave?

Hopefully someone can help on how i should go about recognising the drive?

Due to the Filesystem (NTFS) for Windows, the drive will be read only on Mac, you might need to repartition the drive in order to use it on Mac (Mac OSX) unfortunately format the drive erases the drive,   

I have tackled the problem from a different angle with relative success but not the complete solution.  I am now working off Linux, Hard Drive is mounted i can see my folders but there appears to be issues going on with permissions and readablity.

Any thoughts?

Here is a freeware application that should give you access to your Mac filesystem on a Windows box:
http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

“HFSExplorer is an application that can read Mac-formatted hard disks and disk images. It can read the file systems HFS (Mac OS Standard), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and HFSX (Mac OS Extended with case sensitive file names).”

I don’t know if you will run into the same permissions issue, though.