Faulty usb cable

i just purchased the 1TB and it wont read on any of my other entertainemnt devices, etc PS3 and DVD player. any ideas??? works fine on the PC.

Itā€™s probably the format. It came formatted NTFS for windows and PS3 needs FAT32 which has a max file size of 4 gig.

Or perhaps the VCD partition ?

If your drive has a VCD partition than this is the 1st partition and probably your other entertainment devices

cannot ā€œreadā€ past it.

A well known problem. Please read the topic ā€œRemove the VCD from my driveā€ and similar previous topics.

I have three of the newer essentials drives and the ***ONLY*** way the work reliably is with the bulky desk dock, from the Elite package.Ā  It holds the drive perfectly still on the dock, but isnā€™t very portable.Ā  The replacement cables only last for a few days.Ā  Really ā– ā– ā– ā–  poor design and band aid support.Ā 

I also have a newer Elements portabe drive, with a mini usb, not micro usb.Ā  Same as my older passport drives and it works just fine.Ā 

I have several newer devices and none of the micro USB connectors work well at all. I think it is just a bad design.Ā  The size difference between mini usb and micro usb is minimal.Ā  In every device, mini usb could have been used with no problem.Ā  I really donā€™t see why they are changing.Ā  I have Mini USB drived I use constantly that are 4 years old and they do not have any problems at all.Ā  I would switch back to seagate, but they have gone to a propietary connector on the drives and I wonā€™t do that.

I wrote to the VP in charge of these drives and never received a responce.Ā  I have to say Iā€™m done with WD.

I was surprised to see that so many people are having the problem with the usb cable; not only me. The drive, I should say is very fast and reliable but on the otherhand the usb cable that WD has provided is sub-standard, unreliable and prone to breakage.

The cable is sensitive to the slightest bit of movement and makes my life **bleep**. The drive loses its connection in between and all the work gets screwed up. Because of the cable, I have no option but to replace the entire drive.

Contact customer service theyā€™ll probably send you a new one.

Joe

I donā€™t know where my problem comes from, i am a newbie in HD from WD, but hereā€™s the deal.

I bought a few weeks back a HD mybook 3.0, now it was working fine untill a few days back, it doesnā€™t work properly anymore. I use this HD for my WII. when i plug in the HD on the electric supply itā€™s working fine, coz i hear it running, but from the moment i plug the USB cable in it goes automaticlly out.

Can anyone tell me what can be the problem, I hav contacted WD already, they say to run some checking software but iā€™m not a big fan of doing this coz i donā€™t wanna loose any data.

Hope u all understand my problem little bit, coz my english not 100%Ā :womanwink:

I have tried other external hard hard drives (not WDC) and also find that the USB 2.0 micro B cable can fail easily with the constant disconnect / reconnect.Ā  However, it needs to be noted that the USB 3.0 micro B cable is not the same as the USB 2.0 version.Ā  The SuperSpeed ā€œoptionā€ of the USB 3.0 requires additional ā€œconnectionsā€ and the drive connector is different:

USB 3.0 micro-B

You would think with this many replies, they would take action to fix their cables.Ā  My cable failed also.Ā  I ordered a new one only to discover they sent the wrong one (not mini B)Ā  Makes me wonder if this is a newly designed cable that does not fit older models.Ā  aaaaaggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

The cables are diferent.Ā  There are at least three different connector styles:

USB 2.0 Mini B

USB 2.0 Micro B

USB 3.0 Micro B