Fast copy between shares?

Hi folks,

Is there any way (perhaps via SSH?) to quick copy from share to share? I’d like to move about a terabyte of files from one share to another, however it appears that the speed limit is governed by the computer doing the copying, and this would take…forever on a 10/100 router. (I can’t just rename the shares since the files I want to move are on the unrenamable public share.)

Thanks!

1 Like

Is the intention to move the data, or to replicate it?

Over ssh at least, “mv” is very quick indeed if you want to move the data.

I just want to move the data from Public to a new share, then erase the data from the default, Public, share. (In my haste to play w/ a new toy, I neglected to properly set up shares…oops.)

Would you be so kind as to share the syntax to enable such?

Ssh is enabled by going to http://yourIP/UI/ssh where yourIP is the IP address of the MyBook, I found this by looking at my router’s web interface. Trial and error would probably work too. Log in as root, password is welc0me. That’s a zero, and linux is case sensitive so yourIP/ui/ssh won’t work.

Tread softly from this point, as it’s quite easy to break linux by typing poorly thought through commands in as root.

Once logged in,

cd /DataVolume/shares && ls #This will list your shares, Public for example

mkdir Newshare #Make a new folder for the new share

mv Public/* NewShare/ #This will move everything in Public into NewShare

a file worth looking at is:

nano /etc/samba/overall_share

The shares created by the web interface are defined here. You can change this to change the shares, for example mine (which is not as tidy as it should be) is now as follows:

cat /etc/samba/overall_share
[SmartWare]
  path = /DataVolume/backup/SmartWare
  comment = SmartWare share
  public = yes
  browseable = no
  writable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no

BEGIN ## sharename = Public

[Public]
  path = /DataVolume/shares/Public
  comment = Public Share
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no

END

BEGIN ## sharename = Data

[Data]
  path = /DataVolume/Data/
  comment =
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writable = no
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no

END

1 Like

Thank you so much, Jon!

Bumping this for anyone coming across it later: you can use WinSCP (on Windows boxes, of course), so you can skip all the command line voodoo, if you find that too daunting.