Fan Failure / How do I get data?

I believe the fan has failed on the MyCloud Mirror (Fan Speed = 0 RPM). As a consequence, the system overheats and shuts down. This presents a challenge to get my data off of the device.

1. If I try to turn it on a copy over a Windows network, it takes a really long time. The system overheats.
  2. If I attach a USB drive, similarly it overheats before backing everything up.
  3. If I remove the HD’s and put them into an external HD reader and look at them, I can’t see my data. However, if I boot up the MyCloud Mirror for a short period of time, I can see the data, so I know it is there, but I cannot easily copy it.
  4. I tried to get rsync to work and failed. Though rsync works fine on other NAS’s I own, it does not seem to work here (I configured, started the daemon but it won’t copy).
  • What do I do to efficiently get my data?
  • What do I do with the MyCloud Mirror? Can it (should it) be repaired?

I have posted about this in the past. The fan on my MCM has never worked since it was new except for when I run a system test which then spins the fan up AND creates a new share (figure that one out).

The MCM is now disconnected and unused but when I was using it, I had a large floor standing fan running close to it which kept the temp down to between 25-30 degrees.

In one of my old posts, someone tried to tell me that the drive didn’t contain a fan :grin:

See one of my old posts here.

p.s. looking again at your post, it doesn’t appear to be a My Cloud Mirror, is it?

The device is a My Cloud Mirror. I sympathize with your old post; my situation is a bit of a mystery. The full story here is:

1. MCM worked great for years
  2. Started to see I could not connect
  3. Cycled power, but could only connect for a short period of time
  4. Opened up MCM, removed drives to check on an external USB drive. Drives were super hot.
  5. Data could not be detected on USB → Linux. Got worried!
  6. Put (x1) drive back into MCM. Rebooted. Saw fan RPM = 0. Saw temperature start low and increase. Data was still on the drives. Watched the temperature climb.
  7. Tried rsync to get the data. Failed at that attempt.
  8. Connected a USB to the MCM and copied over data, (x1) shared folder at a time. Took quite a while b/c I shut off the MCM after each folder I copied to let it cool down.

In the end, I assumed the fan failed. I have no proof and did not look for a fan. The diagnosis that it was overheating was consistent with a fan failure, but I haven’t looked for a physical fan yet.

So, I’m not sure if I should

• junk the My Cloud Mirror
  • look for a fan to replace
  • rig up another fan
  • look for another reason for the failure

Diagnosing a failure, if it is not a dead fan, is likely not worth the time. Advice?

P.S. I search for fan in the WD Community and could not find your post. Sorry if this brings up an old wound.

No, the fan isn’t turning because it doesn’t need to. 40 degrees C is not hot - its actually quite cool. There’s some other problem with your system.