Failure when copying data across

Hi There,  I’ve got a Infrant (Netgear)  ReadyNAS NV+ which I use as my primary NAS I’ve bought the MyBookLive to serve as a backup to the ReadyNAS.  On the ReadyNAS I have created a backup job that copies the data from a location on the ReadyNAS to the MyBookLive however the process is failing and I can’t find out why?  Does anyone have any ideas?

The Error Log on the Ready NAS is as follows

cp: cannot stat `/job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/Roary the Racing Car S01E36- Spooky Forest.mp4’: Input/output error

cp: cannot stat `/job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/._Roary the Racing Car S01E36- Spooky Forest.mp4’: Input/output error

cp: preserving times for `/job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/.': Input/output error

Backup failed. Tue Jan 11 17:52:52 WET 2011.

Reason for failure:

Error encountered copying data from source path /media/Video/Hannah ==> //192.168.1.10/Public/Shared Videos/Hannah due to unknown reason.  Please see log.

cp: cannot stat /job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/Roary the Racing Car S01E36- Spooky Forest.mp4': Input/output errorcp: cannot stat /job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/._Roary the Racing Car S01E36- Spooky Forest.mp4’: Input/output errorcp: preserving times for `/job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/.': Input/output error

Backup failed. Tue Jan 11 17:52:52 WET 2011.
Reason for failure:Error encountered copying data from source path /media/Video/Hannah ==> //192.168.1.10/Public/Shared Videos/Hannah due to unknown reason.  Please see log.

A post from the  Infrant Forum suggests it maybe to do with the format of the disk in the MyBookLive, could anyone tell me what that is?  I presume the NAS controller would deal with any inappropriate file names or alike and a proper error message would be returned

Brew,

From looking at the Netgear forums, it looks as if you might have issues with your files (see the “:”  comments). As an FYI, the My Book Live uses the EXT4 file system. 

Based on the Error Log from ReadyNAS it seems the backup utility cannot “read” the file from the ReadyNAS.

cp: cannot stat `/job_006//Shared Videos/Hannah/Roary the Racing Car S01E36- Spooky Forest.mp4’ … refers to an Input file.

Generally such errors can occur if the backup utility does not support certain characters in file names or the file is actually missing.

This does not have anything to do with Ext4 … if there was an issue with Ext4 we should have got a different error.

Tony

WD Branded Products Team

Agreed with WDTony…  With NAS, Filesystem type should NEVER be an issue;  only the INTERNAL OS of the NAS cares about that.   The standard file sharing protocols (SMB/CIFS in this case) don’t even know what the filesystem is.

Thanks for your responses, what you have said makes sense and I agree. Somthig is going wrong some where as the same backup utility will backup the same data to a USB drive. I think it is defiantly a ReadyNAS problem though.