Failed to update firmware

Hello!

I have an 3TB mycloud,

At the dashboard tehre is always a message that the firmware needs to upgrade.

I have tryied to upgrade via dashboard and via ssh but always says that it is failed.

from the console as i can understand  i take the message that firmware is uptodate

grep install /var/log/dpkg.log
2014-05-29 09:49:05 startup archives install
2014-05-29 09:49:05 status half-installed sq:armhf 03.04.01-230
2014-05-29 19:50:29 status half-installed sq:armhf 03.04.01-230
2014-05-29 19:50:46 status installed sq:armhf 03.04.01-230

souidia:~# apt-cache show sq:armhf
Package: sq
Priority: important
Section: base
Installed-Size: 1999852
Maintainer: S. Hellwege steve.hellwege@wdc.com
Architecture: armhf
Version: 03.04.01-230
Depends: wd-lib, libc6 (>= 2.17), libc-bin (>= 2.17), multiarch-support (>= 2.17), kernel-mindspeed-sequoia, date-time, networking-general, apache-php-webdav, upnp-nas, bonjour, afp, alerts, strings, wddispatcher, wdnotifier, drive-lib, paragon-ufsd, nas-safepoint, itunes, ftp, nfs, openvpn, dlna-server-twonky, admin-rest-api, wdmpserver-sq-release, comm-manager-armhf-release, map-drive, ui
Pre-Depends: wd-nas
Description: Sequoia wi-fi project package
 This package lists the dependencies of the Zermatt project.
 Root_File_System: wheezy-bootstrap_1.24.14_armhf.tar.gz

but i have always the message that the firmware needs to upgrade, any ideas?

thank you in advance

and openssl is uptodate

souidia:~# apt-cache show openssl
Package: openssl
Version: 1.0.1e-2+deb7u7
Installed-Size: 950
Maintainer: Debian OpenSSL Team pkg-openssl-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.13-28), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1e-2+deb7u5), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Suggests: ca-certificates
Description-en: Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools
 This package contains the openssl binary and related tools.
 It is part of the OpenSSL implementation of SSL.
 You need it to perform certain cryptographic actions like:
  -  Creation of RSA, DH and DSA key parameters;
  -  Creation of X.509 certificates, CSRs and CRLs;
  -  Calculation of message digests;
  -  Encryption and decryption with ciphers;
  -  SSL/TLS client and server tests;
  -  Handling of S/MIME signed or encrypted mail.
Description-md5: 977022bc5545601176b69704acc5df9b
Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, protocol::ssl, role::program,
 scope::utility, security::cryptography, security::integrity,
 use::checking
Section: utils
Priority: optional
Filename: pool/main/o/openssl/openssl_1.0.1e-2+deb7u7_armhf.deb
Size: 694858
MD5sum: d5bf155b35dc6a8e2bd4042b301cb032
SHA1: 4caf0d177c26c01870def86f2d48c9320a969983
SHA256: 2965439abcb6d7c15cdc6e8a5c4a9a9c5484096086e1ddb6a802d5df4c98a4cb

Package: openssl
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 950
Maintainer: Debian OpenSSL Team pkg-openssl-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Version: 1.0.1e-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.13-28), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Suggests: ca-certificates
Conffiles:
 /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf 7df26c55291b33344dc15e3935dabaf3
Description-en: Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools
 This package contains the openssl binary and related tools.
 It is part of the OpenSSL implementation of SSL.
 You need it to perform certain cryptographic actions like:
  -  Creation of RSA, DH and DSA key parameters;
  -  Creation of X.509 certificates, CSRs and CRLs;
  -  Calculation of message digests;
  -  Encryption and decryption with ciphers;
  -  SSL/TLS client and server tests;
  -  Handling of S/MIME signed or encrypted mail.

Hello, have  you tried doing a system only restore before doing the firmware update?

Hello thank you for your reply.

Yes I have tried “factory restore sytem only”

If you look at the second screnshoot you can see the message it at the notification window.

Factory restore succeeded

Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:56:04 PM

the different time is because i have another time zone from the default

Hi again and sorry for the delay, for this case I recommend you to contact support directly. 

http://support.wd.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I will contact the support but i think that they will say that i have to send mycloud back and i dont want.

It works ok exept this annoying message.

as i said package sq:armhf is uptodate (version 03.04.01-230) and package openssl is also uptodate Version: 1.0.1e-2+deb7u7.

So my hypothesis is that firmware is installed but for some reason the dashboard cant see it.

I dont have anyother problem with the wd mycloud

sorry for my bad english but is not my language

Well i was waiting for the new firmware. And i try to upgrade it

I take the same fail

souidia:~# cd /DataVolume/shares/Public/
souidia:/DataVolume/shares/Public# wget http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip
--2014-07-11 19:34:22-- http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip
Resolving download.wdc.com (download.wdc.com)... 23.3.90.176, 23.3.90.216
Connecting to download.wdc.com (download.wdc.com)|23.3.90.176|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 138278757 (132M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip'

100%[======================================>] 138,278,757 527K/s in 3m 6s   

2014-07-11 19:37:29 (725 KB/s) - `sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip' saved [138278757/138278757]

souidia:/DataVolume/shares/Public# unzip sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip
Archive: sq-040000-607-20140630.deb.zip
  inflating: sq-040000-607-20140630.deb  
souidia:/DataVolume/shares/Public# /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:27:: ( /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb )
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:27:upgrade start: /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-040000-607-20140630.deb
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:28:check_size=
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:version_current=030401219
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:version_newfile=040000607
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:package_newfile=sq
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:master_package_name=sq
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:master_package_new=sq
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:07/11/14 17:41:31:update_container=
[ok] Stopping periodic command scheduler: cron.
[ok] Stopping standby monitor: monitorio.
[ok] Stopping temperature monitor: monitorTemperature.
PID file /var/run/mediaserver.pid not found, stopping server anyway...

[ok] Stopping itunes server: forked-daapd.
[ok] Stopping wdphotodbmerger: wdphotodbmerger.
[ok] Stopping wdmcserver: wdmcserver.
[ok] Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Stopping Netatalk Daemons: afpd.
[ok] Stopping upnp nas device: upnpnasd.
[ok] Stopping wddispatcher: wddispatcher.
[ok] Stopping wdnotifier: wdnotifier.
[ok] Stopping wdnotifier: wdnotifier.
[ok] Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
[ok] Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
[ok] Stopping NFS common utilities:.
(Reading database ... dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libssh2-1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxau6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblockfile1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkrb5-3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libwrap0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtagc0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libcap2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libglib2.0-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgphoto2-port0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpng12-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtalloc2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libevent-2.0-5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libedit2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libldap-2.4-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-client3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgphoto2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtag1c2a:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblua5.1-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpkcs11-helper1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpcre3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-common3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libsensors4:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libx11-6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libnfsidmap2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libbsd0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libavahi-common-data:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libjpeg8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libsasl2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libcurl3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtirpc1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkrb5support0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'librtmp0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpcap0.8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libexpat1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libltdl7:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libkeyutils1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libreadline5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libantlr3c-3.2-0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libasound2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxcb1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtdb1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxpm4:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libtag1-vanilla:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'liblzo2-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libogg0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfontconfig1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libmagic1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libk5crypto3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgssglue1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libunistring0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libwbclient0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfuse2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgssapi-krb5-2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libparted0debian1:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libgd2-xpm:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libconfuse0:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libexif12:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libffi5:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libflac8:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libdbus-1-3:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxml2:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libfreetype6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libxdmcp6:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libpam-cap:armhf' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
24509 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace sq 03.04.01-230 (using .../sq-040000-607-20140630.deb) ...
isImage=true
Master package name: sq
sq-preinst: action=upgrade
currentRootDevice=/dev/md1
Save upgrade-version file to /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci
`/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/upgrade-version' -> `/CacheVolume/upgrade/upgrade-version'
forked-daapd: no process found
disable lazy init
[mntent]: line 11 in /etc/fstab is bad
Restore raid device: /dev/sda1
Restore raid device: /dev/sda2
Prepare for upgrade pkg install...
mdadm: set /dev/sda1 faulty in /dev/md1
mdadm: hot removed /dev/sda1 from /dev/md1
Preparing FW upgrade image on: "/dev/md0"
preinst: currentRootDevice=/dev/md1
preinst: upgradePath=/mnt/rootfs
preinst: upgradePart=/dev/sda1
preinst: upgradeDevice=/dev/md0
Unpacking..
Unpacking replacement sq ...
Unpack timeout occurred
failed 202 "upgrade download failure"
stopping duplicate md device /dev/md0
Restore raid device: /dev/sda1
Restore raid device: /dev/sda2

Setting up sq (04.00.00-607) ...
root: ## postinst ##
root: ## postinst_body ##
root: ## postinst_header ##
postinst: isImage=true
postinst: Master package name: sq
postinst: sq-postinst: action=configure
postinst: currentRootDevice=/dev/md1
postinst: upgradeDevice=/dev/md0
postinst: upgradePart=/dev/sda1
postinst: upgradePath=/mnt/rootfs
root: ## postinst_image ##
Copy image to upgrade device /dev/md0:
blockSize=64k blockCount=31247
Compare checksum
-: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
ok 1
Upgrade failed
mdadm: /dev/md0 does not appear to be an md device
mdadm: Cannot open /dev/sda1: Device or resource busy

but the sq packet is the newest

souidia:~# apt-cache show sq:armhf
Package: sq
Priority: important
Section: base
Installed-Size: 1999896
 libc6(>= 2.17),libc-bin(>=2.17), multiarch-support(>=2.17),
 kernel-mindspeed-sequoia,
 date-time,
 networking-general,
 apache-php-webdav,
 upnp-nas,
 bonjour,
 afp,
 smb-file,
 alerts,
 strings,
 wdnotifier-sq64k,
 drive-lib,
 paragon-ufsd,
 nas-safepoint,
 itunes,
 ftp,
 nfs,
 data-volume-config,
 openvpn,
 dlna-server-twonky,
 admin-rest-api,
 wdmpserver-sq64k-release,
 comm-manager-armhf-release-64k-pagesize,
 map-drive,
 ui
Maintainer: S. Hellwege <steve.hellwege@wdc.com>
Version: 04.00.00-607
Description: Sequoia project package
 This package lists the dependencies of the Sequoia project.
 Root_File_System: wheezy-bootstrap_64k_armhf.tar.gz

i also notise a fail message  [mntent]: line 11 in /etc/fstab is bad

You can see what the fstab has, i cant understand if it has something wrong

It will be nice if someone can copy paste here the fstab of his wd mycloud 

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

## found that Access DLNA can sometimes temporarily use up to 70M of the /tmp space
## increasing to 100M maximum
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=100M 0 0

# mount cgroup hierarchy
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup cgroup memory,cpu 0 0
/dev/md1 / ext3 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=0 0 0
/DataVolume/cache /CacheVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback,noinit_itable)

I had the same problem after I restore the firmware following this thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5BM6ZlZC3zRzJtYUZqd2xHNUk/view?usp=sharing

md5sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match

After many (many!) attempts (like “metadata=0.9” in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf that didn’t work), I reset My Cloud and tried via SSH to restore the firmware that comes with the package mentionned above:

WDMyCloud:~# /usr/local/sbin/./wipeFactoryRestore.sh

[reboot]

WDMyCloud:~# /usr/local/sbin/./updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-030401-219-20140218.deb

Everything is fine now! Here is the log:

WDMyCloud:~# /usr/local/sbin/./updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-030401-219-20140218.deb

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/08/15 09:05:56:version_current=030401219
updateFirmwareFromFile.sh:03/08/15 09:05:56:version_newfile=030401219
[…]
root: ## postinst_image ##
Copy image to upgrade device /dev/md1:
blockSize=64k blockCount=31247
Compare checksum
-: OK
ok 0
mounting new root file system
root: sourcing new config files
postinst: old version is 030401219
postinst: new version is 03.04.01-219
[…]

After that, I slowly upgrade firmwares one by one, still via SSH, until My Cloud comes with the latest one (4.01.03.421).

Here is the list of firmwares I deploy:

• Firmware Version 03.04.01-219
  • Firmware Version 03.04.01-230
  • Firmware Version 04.00.00-607
  • Firmware Version 04.00.01-623
  • Firmware Version 04.01.00-408
  • Firmware Version 04.01.01-413
  • Firmware Version 04.01.02-417
  • Firmware Version 04.01.03-421

All My Cloud firmwares + md5:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_5BM6ZlZC3zSml5VmpaQVF6WHM&usp=sharing

yout link does not work. It tells me to contact support 

My bad! I edited the post and put the link direct to the tutorial hosted on a Google Drive.

1 Like

nice do you know if the commands can be exicuted with putty? 

Yes, you can run all the commands in Putty. That’s how I fixed my firmware upgrade problem.

You just have to activate SSH two times in the My Cloud WebUI:

• first time to reset the system

• second time to rewrite the firmware

Hope this works for you too.

can you explaine how to do this step by step please as I have the same issue and sont really understand you instructions. Many thanks