Failed to open Virutal CD

The disk works well, and I have added lock to the whole disk.

When I connect this disk to another laptop, smartware must be installed firstly in that laptop.

But when I’m trying to open the virtual CD, it fails, and reports "bad disk " similar informations.

I think maybe the virtual CD image file on the disk is broken for some reasons,

I have downloaded Virtual CD image file from WD: http://wdc.custhelp.com

I can’t find this image in the disk, and don’t know how to replace the old image file with the downloaded on.

I suppose this image file must be hidden.

How could I recover this virtual CD, and make it accessable?

Thanks.

-Bob

The VCD is part of the drive’s firmware, it can’t be erased, modified or updated by any way other than a firmware update. That disc image is the content that should be present in the latest version of the partition.

On the other hand, Smartware is not needed to use and install the drive. You only need the drivers, and in case you have a password, the disc image should come with an unlocking tool.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you very much for you reply.

You said “That disc image is the content that should be present in the latest version of the partition.”

Where can I download the latest version of the partition, and how can I use it to recover the the VCD?

There was an unlocking tool in the VCD, however, this VCD can’t be opened now, and I can’t unlock this disk in other laptop.

Thanks.

-Bob

cepheus wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much for you reply.

You said “That disc image is the content that should be present in the latest version of the partition.”

Where can I download the latest version of the partition, and how can I use it to recover the the VCD?

Again, the VCD itself can’t be recovered. If the VCD is not working then the drive needs to be replaced since it’s part of the firmware, if a firmware update doesn’t fix then it needs to be replaced.

The partition is the VCD itself, as the VCD shows up as a secondary volume independent of the drive itself, so if you did download the disc image then you already have it. But you can’t “add it” to the drive, the disc image is to have the VCD files on your computer.

Try a firmware update since it’s the only thing that can be done. Also, if the problem is that the drive is locked and there’s no unlocking tool, then install Smartware directly from WD’s site, it will ask you to unlock the drive. After you unlock it using Smartware then go to drive settings> security and permanently remove the password so you can use the drive on any computer without Smartware and the Unlocking tool, you should be able to take the data off before replacing that way, and remember from now on to NEVER leave your data alone on a single drive, that is not a backup since you need the same data on 2 different drives in order to have a real backup.