Failed backup message

Hi I am using a “My passport” external hard drive on a windows 7 laptop. I am told the passport is correctly installed. My own checking seems to support that installation was successful. However my computer is showing a backup problem i.e. it shows a failed backup message when i open up the control panel page (Backup and restore).Also when I hit the “back up now button” it fails to complete  i’m not sure if this is a Windows issue or a Passport issue. Can anyone help?

Struggler 

Hello,

Try formatting the drive and then run a new backup.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

Thanks for the suggestion. However this seems to be a risky solution and i don’t feel confident about attempting it on my own.Basically there appears to be 2 possible problems. Either my Windows 7 programme is malfunctioning or else the My Passport WD external hard drive is malfunctioning. Considering your help desk in the Dominican Republic told me about 1 week ago that the passport was working correctly, I just don’t understand your suggested solution. The The lady in the Dominican Republic provided a number identifying my conversation with her. This number is [deleted for privacy]. I am confused as to why you suggest that the passport has to be formatted and partitioned when it is said to be working. I would have to say that my experience with your product has been unsatisfactory to date. I would appreciate some “real” assistance please.

Tony McAuliffe

Perth Western Australia