F32 Formatting

Yesterday I bought a 1TB My Passport USB External Hard Drive.

Got home…Connected to desktop (Windows 7-64)…No option to reformat to FAT32 as I needed. Call tech support (on the other side of the planet) and a nice guy (that I could hardly hear or understand) guided me to Windows DOS utility and happily away we went formatting to FAT32. He gave a case [Deleted] and told me that it may take about 2 hours to complete the process (That call took about 20 minutes)…Well, about 11 hours later the process was finally done, just to tell me that the disc was to large to be formatted to FAT32…Call back support this morning and surprise…Nothing over 32GB could be formatted under Windows…Asked what to do next and was told that WD didn’t have an utility and because I was talking to WD, they couldn’t tell me what utility to use but that I should Google and will find one. So I did…Verbatim Smartdisk_FAT32_tool and in 3 seconds (yes three) my disk was ready. Obviously the disk had already been formatted in DOS but not finished. We all know that Windows does stupid things like that, no surprise there, but WD really could do much better than this when it comes to an unit.that will be sold by the millions.:

Hello  luisv113,

Please see your personal messages.

luisv113 wrote:

Yesterday I bought a 1TB My Passport USB External Hard Drive.

Got home…Connected to desktop (Windows 7-64)…No option to reformat to FAT32 as I needed. Call tech support (on the other side of the planet) and a nice guy (that I could hardly hear or understand) guided me to Windows DOS utility and happily away we went formatting to FAT32. He gave a case [Deleted] and told me that it may take about 2 hours to complete the process (That call took about 20 minutes)…Well, about 11 hours later the process was finally done, just to tell me that the disc was to large to be formatted to FAT32…Call back support this morning and surprise…Nothing over 32GB could be formatted under Windows…Asked what to do next and was told that WD didn’t have an utility and because I was talking to WD, they couldn’t tell me what utility to use but that I should Google and will find one. So I did…Verbatim Smartdisk_FAT32_tool and in 3 seconds (yes three) my disk was ready. Obviously the disk had already been formatted in DOS but not finished. We all know that Windows does stupid things like that, no surprise there, but WD really could do much better than this when it comes to an unit.that will be sold by the millions.:

Unless you have a requirement with any older technology to use FAT32, or multi boot requirement, there are other limitations, one of which is that the largest file size you can put on the drive is 4GB.  Anything larger the system will tell you that you are out of memory, which will seem really confusing.