EZ4 Power settings

Can I connect to my EZ4 NAS MyCloud remotely when powered down, i.e. will it wake up when pinged remotely?

Not currently. We plan to add this feature to our mobile apps in the future.

What - it says clearly on your advertsing it has wake on lan feature - and now you are saying it does not - that is not right. I want a pretty darn good explanation of that - your specs say that VERY CLEARLY. This makes me very mad as a customer.

Well it does clearly support WOL. You can wake this up using a magic packet in the local lan. The Quickview software supports this functionatlity. But as you notice, it does not say Wake on WAN. This does not work as there is no way to pass these packets through a router. Do some googling on Wake on Wan and you’ll see what I mean. We would love to get something like this so the mobile apps could do this - and we are working on ways to make this happen - but nothing in the short term.

I wasn’t looking for Wakeup on Wan but do very much expect to it do Wakeup on Lan by itself. If a computer tries to connect or view files stored on it then it should wakeup, if doesn’t then it does not have Wakeup on Lan support. And so far I have seen no example where mine wokeup on lan when connected to. This is an extremely basic function without which the unit is not very usefull.

allknowingeye wrote:

I wasn’t looking for Wakeup on Wan but do very much expect to it do Wakeup on Lan by itself. If a computer tries to connect or view files stored on it then it should wakeup, if doesn’t then it does not have Wakeup on Lan support. And so far I have seen no example where mine wokeup on lan when connected to. This is an extremely basic function without which the unit is not very usefull.

Allknowingeye,

You’re confused about what Wake-on-LAN is.

Wake-on-LAN REQUIRES the presence of a specifically crafted packet to turn the power back on.  A simple PING packet, or a browse/connection request from a client PC is NOT a Wakeup packet.   Such packets will not Wake the system from an OFF condition.  Nor should they.

When the device is OFF, your PC can’t even be aware that the device exists, so it’s not possible to even try to access it.

Your PC cannot send a connection request, and your PC will give you an error.    The NAS will stop responding to packets, so switch forwarding tables will age out.   The NAS will stop responding to ARP requests, so your PC will not be able to even find the NAS’es MAC address while it’s off.

I’m wondering if you’re confused about the disks being asleep (idle) versus the whole NAS being off?

TonyPh12345 is absolutely correct. However; as I mentioned, you can install our QuickView software to send this wake up command to the EX4 from your computers to wake it up from a powered down state.

That’s all well and good. So how do I script your tool to have it turn on the EX4 so I can do automatted backups - that is my intended usage. Is their a command line to the quickview tool that would allow to send the turn on request unattended - this is could live with. I use Symantec System Recovery and it does allow me to run scripted commands before the backup is attempted. 

If you are computer savy, you can create your own program to do this. Use this link to either use their example program or create your own. The Mac Address of the product is located on the label.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11469/Wake-On-LAN-WOL?fid=211282&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&prof=False&sort=Position&view=Quick&spc=Relaxed&fr=76#xx0xx

It would be easy to do a Powershell script such as below however it is neccesary to know which port the EX4 is listening on. I tried 9, 7 and a number of the others. So which port is it listening - can’t script it without that piece of information.

functionWakeupEX4

{

<#

TELLS The EX4 to WakeUp

.PARAMETER mac

EX4’s Mac Address

.PARAMETER ip

EX4’s Ip Address

#>

param(

[string]$mac=“XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX”,

[string]$ip=“192.168.1.XX”,

[int]$port=9

)

$broadcast=[Net.IPAddress]::Parse($ip)

$mac=(($mac.replace(":","")).replace("-","")).replace(".","")

$target=0,2,4,6,8,10|% {[convert]::ToByte($mac.substring($_,2),16)}

$packet= (,[byte]2556) + ($target16)

$UDPclient=new-ObjectSystem.Net.Sockets.UdpClient

$UDPclient.Connect($broadcast,$port)

[void]$UDPclient.Send($packet,102)

}

You’re sending it to a specific IP which won’t be possible. It is a BROADCAST packet. It should be sent to destination FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF MAC and 255.255.255.255 IP.

I’ve captured the packet and it does look like it is just broacasting to everything on UDP port 4000.

Just go download one of the hundreds of WoL tools and capture the packets to see the difference.