Extremely slow performance with MacBook Pro (SMB3) in Finder and DL2100

I have been using windows as my primary computer, but now replaced it by MacBook.

It is extremely slow to browse folders from DL2100 with Finder.

The NAS is connected to the router and my MacBook Pro is using 5ghz wlan. Linkspeed shows 900-1200mbps. Shares are mapped (smb3, using ip-address instead of the name of the nas).

For example when I start browsing a folder having 5200 items (5120 photos and 80 movie-clips - both taken by iPhone) it took over 9 minutes to even see those files. But that is not all, when you actually start browsing the folder it takes time again when creating thumbnails (preview).

When I copy a file from the nas (let say 5gb movie file), the speed is around 30-40MB/s over wifi. So it is not like having huge problems with smb - however not as fast as it could be, but better than nothing and showing that smb works. But browsing folders/files is extremely frustrating.

Changing SMB to AFP didn’t change anything. Still as slow as using smb. I also tried turning oplocks off, but it didn’t help. I tried to make a nsmb.conf file to the folder /etc/ and added a value “signing_required=no” under [default]. I also tried changing the default MTU from 1500 to 1424 to see if that helps. no…

SMB seems to work but for a some reason browsing folders is very slow.

• MacBook Pro 13" (2016) / MacOS Sierra 10.12.2
  • DL2100 with the latest firmware - smb3 turned on and also oplocks. Raid1, no encryption.
  • smbutil statshares -a tells me that smb version is smb3.0.

Abit lost now… (Cant test ethernet because I have no usb-c ethernet adapter at the moment.)

Hi,

Since you did the changes, have you reset the network unit? if not, please try that.

AFP mapping works much better.

as i said, AFP didnt change anything and apple has deprecated it anyway.

What do you mean by saying “resetting the network unit”?

No solution??

It is absolutely horrible to do anything when browsing the NAS when you need to wait 5-10 mins to even see the content. :confused: