Extremely slow dashboard response

Is anyone else experiencing poor performance with this product?

It takes quite a while for the dashboard to come up - sometimes over a minute to just get the login prompt.  Sometimes longer.  

To eliminate any network issue, I have my laptop and the wdmycloud both connected to a cisco gigabit switch, and everything is set to full gigabit.  File transfer times for large flies are good.  But the dashboard takes forever to load and respond.  And, yes, I am running the latest firmware - v04.00.00-607

In addition, I frequently get email that say " Event title:Media Scan Stopped"  So I spend 20 minutes to get the dashboard up so I can reboot the thing.

So, recently, I started to ssh into it so that I can avoid the dashboard to reboot.  I noticed that smdb, wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger are often running and basically pegging the CPU.   But even after I wait (a day or two) for these process to calm down, it still takes the dashboard an extremely long time to come up.  

I’ve given this product a couple of months, but this thing seems severly underpowered and unstable.  Does anyone know of a fix before I toss this in trash? 

many people, including me disable 2 of those, smdb is needed to provide the network shares. depending on your comfort level you could try these steps

this will stop them

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

this will keep them from starting at reboot
update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

I just lowered the priority and restarted them, performance seems good but too early to be sure

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd and /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd   and change  renice 0 -p $$   to  renice 15 -p $$

then reenable
update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd enable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd enable

and start
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd start
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd start

If you are using Windows you could hit the F12 key and do a network check while the Dashboard opens and show WD how long it is taking. See image below.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

That sounds like a good idea - I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Great tip, cat0w!  Here is what it looks like for my dashboard to load.

This is my first try with that kind of interface but I think something is not correct…

I only wanted to disable the photomerger since I use 2 webcams and FTP the pics to the WDMyCloud.

Works fine but the WD keeps updating his database due to the always incoming pictures.

Here is the printscreen…

What am I doing wrong? Already restarted the device, still keeps updating database…

Looks to me he is deleting the entries for wdphotodbmerger but at the end he is writing them back?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/etc$ init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

Stopping wdphotodbmerger: wdphotodbmerger.

/etc$ update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d: warning:  start runlevel arguments (none) do not match wdphotodbmergerd Default-Start values (2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning:  stop runlevel arguments (none) do not match wdphotodbmergerd Default-Stop values (0 1 6)
 Disabling system startup links for /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd …
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd …
   /etc/rc0.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc2.d/K14wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc3.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc4.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc6.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd
 Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd …
   /etc/rc0.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd → …/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc6.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd → …/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc2.d/K14wdphotodbmergerd → …/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc3.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd → …/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd
   /etc/rc4.d/K86wdphotodbmergerd → …/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd

it is adding entries to shut them down during a reboot or shutdown in case they started manually, entries that start with a K are for stopping, S for starting.

It looks good to me, I have not seen the warnings before but they don’t appear to ba any issue

Thx!