Extremely poor wifi reception - basically worthless

Is anyone else experiencing EXTREMELY poor wifi performance and reception?  From my bedroom, two rooms from my router I can barely browse the content from a remote drive I have on my network, let along actually get something to play smoothly.  I can however play 1080p bluray rips from the same source from my laptop, sitting just besides my SMP.  I did some tests, and only if the player and the router are in the same room can I get anything to stream.  I’ve tried numerous channels, encryption levels, etc…  It’s a standard windows share, directly wired to my network that I’m trying to access.  It especially bothers me that I can access the same content from my laptop, even further away.  Past my bedroom is the back yard on the other side of a brick wall.  Even outside my laptop gets a far far far superior signal and can perfectly play my bluray rips from my nas.  I think it’s just a crappy wifi adaptor that’s integrated in the SMP.  What’s everyone else’s experience?

You could check out the wifi signals in your locality and see if they are creating a problem.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

My laptop is wireless and it’s great. My iPad and iPhone can all steam from the exact same spot. Unless the smp and router are in the same room that once device is completely crippled. What’s the deal?

I don’t agree. I find the SMP’s Wi-Fi reception to be worse than my laptop’s, but actually better than the reception of my Wii, PS3 and Toshiba TV. The last three all have trouble maintaining a stable connection downstairs (my router is upstairs), while the SMP doesn’t.

Of course, wireless performance always varies according to certain conditions, so maybe you should check if something’s affecting your SMP. As far as I’ve experienced, it can achieve a good reception.

Same here, no problems with wifi.  I could easily stream 720p content from two rooms away (on wireless G) with the SMP sitting under and a liitle behind a plasma.  I note that i never got more than 2 bars of reception though.

dave

I can’t get good reception from this device but any other device in the same spot things are fine.  I need some help here…  I know my wifi area is congested as I live in Brooklyn NY and can see no less than 20 wifi networks from my apartment.  But nevertheless, I can still get perfect streaming results from my laptop and two other devices where my smp is.  It seems reasonable enough that the smp just has a poor wifi antenna / chip installed and my other more costly devices are equipped with something better? 

nyjz1298 wrote:

I can’t get good reception from this device but any other device in the same spot things are fine.  I need some help here…  I know my wifi area is congested as I live in Brooklyn NY and can see no less than 20 wifi networks from my apartment.  But nevertheless, I can still get perfect streaming results from my laptop and two other devices where my smp is.  It seems reasonable enough that the smp just has a poor wifi antenna / chip installed and my other more costly devices are equipped with something better? 

Same here. My wdtv live is sitting next to my Pany plasma. The TV has 5/5 reception lines. Smp 1 or two at the best. I scanned for other wireless networks with inssider and changed the channel. Same thing. I don’t think you are doing anything wrong. Wi-fi is not the best at this smp I am affraid. It is good to stream files with small bitrate and AC3 sound, but forget anything more demanding.

I agree that WD reception is not great.

From the manual verify this:

Note: The recommended setting on Wireless N routers is 802.11n-only with a channel width of 20/40
MHz. If you are using a wireless-N access point (AP) and it has been set to operate in 802.11n mode
with a security setting of anything other than WPA2-PSK+AES or None, then media player will operate
at lower 802.11g rates. Disabling wireless security is not recommended.

The other thing to look at is your router.  I have an E2000 which I was surprised to learn will transmit in N or G, but not both at the same time.   As I looked around my house I realized I have a lot more old devices using G than I realized (old laptops, iphone 3GS), so I decided to separate my N and G devices.

I set the E2000 to N 2.4 ghz only (WDTV does not do N 5 ghz) and then took an old router and turned it into an access point for the old G devices in my house.  Both were flashed with dd-wrt to make this easier.  I also experimented with different channels, settling on 1 for the old router, and 11 for the new.  The two sit about a foot apart connected by ethernet.

I can now stream without issue, have not had a stutter since making the change.  Newer N devices connect to the E2000, older G devices connect to the old rouer that I resurrected.

I did think about buying a new router, somthing like a ASUS RT-N56U, but opted not to due to cost and the fact that I really like the idea of separating out old and new wireless devices.  As more N 5 ghz devices come out I will probably revisit this issue, but suspect I will keep the old G devices separated until they are all replaced.