Extremely glitchy when pausing/FFing

It kind of freezes up and won’t respond. Then eventually, with huge latency, it may start again or stop FFing…sometimes after that the **bleep** ticker on the bottom stays up ect…I’m upgrading to the newest firmware right now so we’ll see if it helps but I doubt it. What can I do to avoid this? Does everyone’s do this? I use a seagate 1.5TB hard-drive.

Is there some way I should organize my hard drvie to stop this from happening?

BTW, the remote always responds fine on menu’s it’s only in video that this problem is happening.

And I’m playing out of hard drive. Once again, responds fine in menu, then once I play an MKV file from my hard drive if I FF it or pause it it’s very difficult to stop the FFing or unpause it. This makes using the machine **bleep** near impossible. Please, any help at all. I just got new firmware the problem is still there. I reset it (on the side) the problem is still there. Is it my hard drive? Is this thing just a POS? Anyone else have this problem?

In general, no, this shouldn’t be happening.   But there could be other things going on.

Please post the output of MediaInfo for one of the problematic MKVs.

Not sure how to look at the output mode would you mind explaining? I’m really trying to get this fixed…

In my opinion is a common problem, I have the same situation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t works.

Mine NEVER works. And it does it w/ every video. It’s so annoying it’s unusable unless I want to start and the beggining of movie and never pause it or FF it. I’ve got to find a fix for this.

greengrown wrote:

Not sure how to look at the output mode would you mind explaining? I’m really trying to get this fixed…

You need to download MediaInfo and install it on your PC.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Once installed, you should be able to right-click on files in Explorer and select “MediaInfo”.  The program will open and display the codec and container information for that file.  In ‘View’ select Text.  Copy paste the results.  :)

My own experience with MKV files is that FF/RW is not perfect but I can FF at 2x or 4x without any drama.  RW seems buggier and 2x is certainly a lot slower than 2x should be!  Pausing is never really an issue, for me at least.

Have you tried unplugging your Live from the power source and leaving it for 5-10 minutes?  Sounds silly but that sorted out a random issue I was having (M2TS files wouldn’t play).

Do the most troublesome MKV files have chapters by any chance?

Am going to media info right now, thanks so much for the response this is driving me crazy. No chapters really, same problem w/ every MKV file (I have about 1TB worth of them). Anyway will post back mediainfo asap. Thanks again.

Ok, not really sure what “output” you want me to read off but here’s is some of the info I’m seeing on one of the MKV’s that has this problem (although all of them do).

Video stream: 13mbps (13.3 MBPS), 1920*1080 (16:9), at 23.976 fps, AVC (Container profile=Unknown@4.1)…

Audio stream: English, 1 510 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 6 channels, DTS

Is that the info you were looking for?

Copy/paste the whole thing please.  That way we get the whole picture and not just little bits.  

I explained how in my previous post (View > Text then select all and copy / paste here).  

Feel free to edit the filename / path if you’re paranoid.  ;)

General
Complete name                    : F:\High-Def\Avatar\Avatar.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 16.8 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 41mn
Overall bit rate                 : 14.8 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-04-25 05:03:30
Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.3.0 (‘Language’) 编译于 Mar 24 2010 14:59:24
Writing library                  : libebml v0.8.0 + libmatroska v0.9.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 13.0 Mbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 13.3 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.262
Stream size                      : 14.7 GiB (88%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 92 r1510 33d382a
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.90:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=13337 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.80
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 1.71 GiB (10%)

Text #1
ID                               : 3
Format                           : UTF-8
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title                            : eng

Text #2
ID                               : 4
Format                           : UTF-8
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title                            : chs
Language                         : Chinese

Thanks for posting that.  

Well, the good news is that there’s nothing out of the ordinary in that stream.   That’s also the bad news, meaning, no obvious answer for that.

What kind of Hard Drive unit is this?  Given that it’s HD, it’s remotely possible that it might be too high a bit-rate for the WDTV to decode.

Is there ANY way you could put this on a computer that’s attached to the same network, and put it on a SHARE’d drive that the WDTV could access?

I suppose that’s my next try. I’m never run any media through the WD Live that wasn’t connected by USB physically to my HD…it’s a 1.5TB Seagate. I was under the impression a physical connection would always be better than streaming over a network…I suppose I’ll figit with some network sharing tomorrow and see how that goes. IDK though…I mean I bout this thing to run 1080p HD stuff to my HD tv (otherwise there was no freaking purpose for it) so …that would be truly disapointing if that was what the problem is. Like I said all videos are 720p at the least…