External Storage setup

I have connected a 3TB Seagate drive to the USB port of my N600. Both Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 see it just fine.

However, I do not understand what creating a User Account might do for me in the WD Set up Storage. Right now I simply checked the “Share” box on the USB2 line.

I am using the external disk for backups. Windows 8 created a backup “File History” and my script (using rsync) under Ubuntu work. But I realize that if the disk is connected and powered up, anyone who might hack into my router could access the files in my backups. Would creating a User Account for the External Storage provide another level of security? Naturally, access to my wireless requires a password. Also, my house is 100 yards from the road, and my neighbors (who I trust) are about 150 feet away. So I’m probably pretty safe with just the wireless security, but I am curious about the use of a User Account.

Would creating a User Account for the External Storage provide another level of security?  Yes, that’s the purpose of the user account creation.

Thank you, but I set up a User Account, and I can still access the attached disk without using that account.

My settings (Storage/Storage screen) are:

•    Share function for storage. – only the “Share” box is checked on the “USB1” row.
  •    Storage access permission – only the “User Account” is selected, and I have filled in the “Username” and “Password.”

It seems that setting up a User Account has simply had no effect on how I access the attached disk.

–Bob