External HD Not Readable by Computer

I just purchased a 3TB WD Desktop External HD and after plugging it in for the first time I got the following message.

The external Hard Drive is showing up in Disk Utility as completely full but this is my first time plugging it in so I don’t know how this is possible.

Are there any ways to get around this so I can back up my MacBook?

Have you formatted it (being new)?

I have not. Should I format the top or bottom portion of the the external HD that shows up on Disk Utility?

Also what format should I change it to when I erase it?

You want to format the drive, so the top. It seems to be shipped with exFAT formatting. I do not know if that is why you received the error that you did receive, not knowing your MB model and OS. Visit this page to find instructions for formatting, based on your Mac’s OS (using FAT32) … How to Format a Drive for Use on Both Windows and macOS Using exFat or FAT32

You are looking for an HFS+ format…

Fixed the error. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi smv, I’m trying to format my new My Book 4TB as the Time Machine failed. When I clicked Erase this message pops up.15 AM. What should I do?

Did you select GUID scheme, assuming you are on a Mac? Unsure what your settings were for the Partition:
GUID Partition Map: Used for all Intel-based Mac computers.
Master Boot Record: Used for Windows partitions that will be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT.
Apple Partition Map: Used for compatibility with older PowerPC-based Mac computers. (OLD)

I did it again with GUID scheme this time as I am on Mac. It worked. THANKS much! Have a nice day!

1 Like

Hi Guys!
Just got a spanking new “WD Elements 4TB” out of the box and it’s not readable on mac.
Currently running a macOS High Sierra on a Mac Book Pro (Retina mid 2014)
I’ve attached a screenshots of the issue.
Any solution uber appreciated. :wink:
Thanks a million
Alby

i have that same problem, please someone help…

Having the same issue…New Mac with High Sierra and New My Book. Apparently(based on internet searches) I need to erase the My Book and reformat. I’m getting conflicting answers in my research…ExFat or APFS. Which format do I use and how do I make sure I don’t mess up my Mac?

I can’t even get my external disk to mount. Did you have to do something special?

I would suggest trying one of the HFS+ format with GUID. APFS might too new for an external drive.