External Hard Drive Runs Very Slow

Because of a hard drive failure I had to replace it with a new one. After reinstalling Windows 7 home Premium and my software, everything seems to be working fine except for my external hard drive (My Book Essential - 3TB). It’s data transfer rate is extremely slow. It was running fine before the failure. I updated all my drivers so I don’t think that would be the cause.

It seems like I’m using a USB 1.1 driver instead of an USB 2.0 driver. How can I check to see if this is so? And if it is, where can I find the correct USB 2.0 driver?

Any other insight into why external hard drive would be running slow would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your help.

Hello,you can first run a DLG test to rule out any possible hardware damage. To get the latest drivers you can go to your computer/laptop manufacturer support page.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Thanks for this very useful forum…  I have a developed a similar MYBOOK issue.  I am running two MYBOOK hds using XP pro & inputing via one on firewire & one on USB (1).  Until last week this set up worked very well.  The larger of these two MYBOOKs has gone to a very slow access…  v   e   r   y           s   l   o   w.  I have swapped cables, swapped power supplies, got the questionable HD plugged into the wall socket rather than a power supply.  In each case, one MYBOOK runs normally while the one in question is still slow.  I can access data on the slow drive, it just takens a very long time. 

I have downloaded & run the WinDLG program & it will not test for logical drives, only physical drives…   both MYBOOKs only show up in the lower block labeled logical drives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.