External hard drive issues

So I purchased an external hard drive for use on my PS4. Here’s a link to where it was purchased from

*AUPEL 2TB Hard Drive USB 3.0 External Hard Drive for Mac,PC, Desktop, Laptop, MacBook, Chromebook, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4 (2TB, black) *

If you read through that description it does eventually say it’s suitable for use on a PS4. However, when I plugged it in, the light appeared on the hard drive but it did not show up as a device on the PS4.

So naturally, I tested it on my MacBook Air and had the same problem, it wasn’t recognised.

I decided it was faulty and attempted to request a replacement. Instead, I received a full refund without any sort of checks and I still have the product.

From having a thorough look at the product on amazon, the two and only reviews seem sketchy along with other discrepancies, which made me think that this was just a dodgy hard drive. Which would make sense seeming as it was so cheap,

ANYWAY, what I’m asking is if there’s anything I could do or try before I take the plunge and spend almost double on an ‘official’ hard drive such as a Seagate.

I feel like seeming as the light comes on etc that some of these hard drives work and it’s not just a complete scam…

Maybe I’m clutching at straws but it’s worth an ask.

TLDR bought a sketchy hard drive for my PS4 and it’s not recognised. Is there anything I can try to fix it?

What does posting about a AUPEL 2TB Hard Drive have to do with Western Digital Hard drives ? WD don’t make them, in fact i’ve never heard of “AUPEL”

Western Digital sell “Official” PS4 Hard drives … personally, i would never buy a Seagate drive ever again, after dozens of them failing on me.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-gaming-drive-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBDFF0020BBK-WESN

Personally, i have several WD Drives (WD Elements) used as Extended Storage and Media Storage on the PS4 and they work perfect.