External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS -- UPDATED FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2013

coxorange wrote:

Woodley43 wrote:

… if you use Apple Disk Utility to format or set up for RAID…

Really? Is it possible to set up/change RAID modes via Apple Disk Utility?

(I have a WD My Book Studio Edition II, 2 x 1TB, for RAID 0 or RAID 1

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=114&lang=en )

coxorange wrote:

Woodley43 wrote:

Just open the Apple Disk Utility (Festplattendienstprogramm) and it will show “Delete” “Recovery” “Raid” etc options. If you reset a RAID drive, you loose the data on the drive.

Using only Apple’s DiskUtility indeed works fine.

On first thought I used the WD Disk Utilities but that kept protesting that one of the discs was ‘not compatible’ (both were identical!). that irritated me. Also I discovered that ik loaded automagicallya Helper app which in my opinion is useless. I hate to have apps running that are of no apparent use to me.

So erased the whole thing, tested both HD’s thoroughly using a docking station, reinstalled them and formatted with the Apple programm. They have been running now intensive for almost 24 hours and all works fine.

This advice is no good to people who did not receive the email and upgraded to Mavericks, resulting in this loss of data. So my needs are:

1. Is there a way of recovering the data? It is (was) my Time Machine.

2. Is there any way of getting a reply from WD after raising a case on their support site??? Not a sausage since I raised it! They are rapidly being struck off my approved suppliers list!

Woodley43 wrote:

coxorange wrote:

Woodley43 wrote:

Just open the Apple Disk Utility (Festplattendienstprogramm) and it will show “Delete” “Recovery” “Raid” etc options. If you reset a RAID drive, you loose the data on the drive.

Oh, that sounds good. But I thought the WD Drive Manager / WS RAID Manager would also be helpful for displaying an alert in case one of the two internal drives would become defective. How else would we know this…?

I just purchased a new 1TB Passport for Mac and decided against using any of the WD software given the Mavericks problems that I had been been reading about. Now looking at this board I’m seeing reports of problems even on drives with no WD utilities installed. Overall, it appears that the safest thing to do would be to reformat the drive with Apple’s Disk Utility before I begin to use it, and ignore the WD utilities completely. 

Are there any disadvanatages to this, or anything else I should watch out for?

ralphs wrote:

I just purchased a new 1TB Passport for Mac and decided against using any of the WD software given the Mavericks problems that I had been been reading about. Now looking at this board I’m seeing reports of problems even on drives with no WD utilities installed. Overall, it appears that the safest thing to do would be to reformat the drive with Apple’s Disk Utility before I begin to use it, and ignore the WD utilities completely. 

Are there any disadvanatages to this, or anything else I should watch out for?

The utilities become important if you plan on using the password protection on the drive.  However, it is always a good idea to reformat the drive, before using it.  Using Apple’s Disk Utility is the best way if you don’t want to install the utilities.

Bill_S wrote:

Using Apple’s Disk Utility is the best way if you don’t want to install the utilities.> * * *

Is this also recommended for WD My Book Studio Edition II?

I thought the RAID mode can only be switched via WD Raid Utility.

Furthermore I thought the WD Drive Manager / WD RAID Manager would also be helpful for displaying these LED alerts on the front of the drive in case one of the two internal drives would become defective. Or do these alerts not depend on the utilities software?

Thanks. I can protect the drive using Mavericks whole disk encryption, and given all the problems reported here it seems safer to just avoid WD utilities all together.

Do not forget to unistall everything with ‘westerndigital’ or ‘wdutility’ using a programm like iFilex of FindAnyFile. Otherwise it will popup suddenly.

coxorange wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Using Apple’s Disk Utility is the best way if you don’t want to install the utilities.> * * *

Is this also recommended for WD My Book Studio Edition II?

I thought the RAID mode can only be switched via WD Raid Utility.

Furthermore I thought the WD Drive Manager / WD RAID Manager would also be helpful for displaying these LED alerts on the front of the drive in case one of the two internal drives would become defective. Or do these alerts not depend on the utilities software?

There should be no problem with using the drive or raid manager.  Above, I was talking to someone using a Passport for Mac drive.  That’s a single portable usb drive, not a dual drive.  With a dual drive, I would always use the drive/raid manager for managing the raid.  However, the light alerts are actually firmware driven.

For two of my “unraided” MyBook Thunderbolt Duo, WD offered recovery service at its partner Kroll Ontrack after I extensively documented exactly why and what happened. I had many screenshots at hand.

First I was offered to use Kroll Software Easy Recovery free of charge. I had tried it on one drive, which was a 1.5 TB partial photo archive. It was very time consuming, needed additional drives. The software is not for amateurs, so I was not successful. Then my WD supporter offered professional service with Kroll Partners. Both drives were picked up by a parcel service and the results returned a month later on two simple WD MyBook USB 3.0 (1x3 Tb and 1x4 TB), which I am allowed to keep.

Some days later I received back my two more expensive Thunderbolt Duos (2x3 TB and 2x4 TB). 

The drives I tampered around, recovery was satisfactory. Directories and original file names are gone, some EPS do not open anymore in Illustrator or Photoshop, while most JPEGs and TIFFs can be grouped again, just looking at the thumbnails. Digital photos (RAW, JPEGs and TIFFs) can be renamed and allocated according to the metadata (exposure date). There is a variety of renaming programs, while I mostly used Digital Photo Professional delivered with my Canon EOS camera.

The recovery of my second Thunderbolt Duo (project and document archive) was almost complete.  I did not use this one for my own recovery attempts when using the Kroll software. A large movie (which I got from the producer again) and a few photo panorama (very large files) are gone. However, the single photographs of these panoramas are still there.

All this is a rather unexpected and surprising result. I am very thankful to Western Digital and Kroll Partner professional service.

What did I learn: As soon as one of my external drives would emit some unusual sound or show some odd behavior, I would immediately stop and disconnect any such drive and would search for professional help. RAID 1 is no guaranty for security and for archiving data, redundancy is important. Today, storage space is very affordable.

I am now in the crowd of catastrophic data losers from Mavericks and Western Digital. I have lost two WD drives using Mavericks in the last two weeks. One on the MacPro internal bus (startup), the other on a external esata bus (10,000+ image files). Both, when viewed in disk utility, show partitions renamed by unknown source as TM BU or similar. TM BU is my drive name for my Time Machine backups.

I see lots of complaints here, but few actual solutions. Other than data recovery, with which, filenames may or may not come back. This makes the data recovery option useless for me on 10,000 image files. I do have a 10 day old clone as a fall back.

It should also be noted that I have NEVER had WD drive software on my system. These are internal drives used in an external enclosure.

My actions are going to be the following…

-boot into mountain lion clone and see if the “broken” partition shows up correctly. Copy data

-attempt DiskWarrior repair on “broken” partition, if an easy fix can be achieved, mount and copy data.

-boot into mavericks start up, use back drive (10,000 images) to copy to SEAGATE drive and use it as hero drive, perhaps repurpose suspect WD drives as back up drives

Any other ideas are welcome. My weekend, now shot to ****, for the second time in two weeks. Russ

Same problem happed to me while spending the last year of my life in Nepal.  I could not service the drive while abroad and waited till I got stateside only to find the drive has been corrupted.  I never installed the included software and do not understand why this happened.  Now thousands of pictures are lost.  

WD you successfully deleted a year of my life’s work.  

Same here. never installed WD’s software. Set the Raid using Mac’s Disk Utility. Lost about 40 of my movies all of a sudden.

Luckily it was used as a backup.

Hello JR2014

You were away and “your” drive became corrupted. You had no backup of “your” drive? Was it an internal or external drive? If a drive is always on and never sleeps, chances are about 30% according to our family records, that after a year or two always busy drives go haywire by mechanical or electronic reasons, independent of any software. That is why you can never arrange enough redundancy and keep archive disks only connected to the PC, when you backup data. (My software crash happened during the syncing two identical archives (!) - due to incompatible timing of WD software and a the Apple Mavericks update).

However, corrupted disks can be repaired, sometimes with very little loss of data, sometimes you loose all file and directory names.

If it was an external disk and you never tried to “service” it yourself after the crash, chances are good that data can be recovered. Ask WD or a professional. A good data recovery may cost a few hundred dollars. This is peanuts compared to all your travel expenses! Good luck!

Lost all of my data too.

Mavericks, MacBook, NO WD software.

Plugged in the WD 1TB HD about a month ago and like magic, everything was wiped. Thanks Mavericks/Apple and thanks WD. I have lost years of family photos and other info. 

I have two more WD HD one of which is my Timemachine backup, which now I can not plug in, in case I loose of the info. 

WHAT [deleted] am I to do???

Mavericks [Deleted] ,but after visiting an Apple store It was recommened to me by their staff and so I dl it. Within a few days I went back to ask how to revese the upgrade, but it was too difficult. Within a week it had wiped a flash drive (NON WD) and in Jan it wiped my first WD HD.

Does anyone know if there is a cliss action against any of these companies? I have lost data that can not be replced and I am sure many others are in the same situation.

What annoys me the most is that Apple knew of this issue and yet said nothing while recommending that I dl it. Also, there are NO signs in there store warning of this and they contiune to sell WD HD.

What kinds of WD drives are people having failures with? Are they all 3.5" drives, or has anyone experienced failure with the 1TB Passport for Mac?

This just happened to me yesterday…

It’s a My Book Studio II 2TB (USB 2.0, 2xFW800, eSATA, RAID 1 setup.

It’s been used exclusively in a Windows environtment (perfectly at that) as my main backup setup. Now it’s more “backup to my backup” but I still have some files, mainly Go Pro videos waiting for editing, that I desperately need to get ahold of.

The irony is that I was aware of the issue and the first piece of WD software I installed on my mac was the updated (fix) version. It’s a Mac Mini, never used nothing installed. I upgraded to Mavericks when I got it and it was a clean install.

I have been usind the My Book as a to and from solution from my old Windows computer. It had been working as it should and I was having to problems. I was careful to eject/unmount the device before changing computer to avoid any issues.

Yesterday, I had no more files on the drive. It showd up (Mac) as an empty device approx 1tb free space. Connecting it to my Win, it didnt get a drive letter. But checking the device (Manage) I could se that it had a 200mb EFI partition, 900MB free space and another partition with “unallocated space”.

I uninstalled the WD software as described and have tried several computers but I cant access the data. BUT I did try Disk Drill and the files are all still there (I get a preview of jpgs etc and nothing is corrupt). It finds pdf, avi, doc…I think it finds everything. But I dont like paying 100USD for something “someone else” should fix and since it’s not critical (ie my pictures are backed up perfectly elsewhere). BUT I do really REALLY want to show my kids me skiing when I get old…er…ish…old.

Reply to

gmangman

Sue who for what? you didnt make redundant copies of your data, thats your fault and short-sightedness.

FROM APPLE:

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html

Your Hardware Warranty

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty - MAC
For Apple Branded Products Only

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

IF YOUR APPLE PRODUCT IS CAPABLE OF STORING SOFTWARE PROGRAMS, DATA AND OTHER INFORMATION , YOU SHOULD MAKE PERIODIC BACKUP COPIES OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE STORAGE MEDIA TO PROTECT THE CONTENTS AND AS A PRECAUTION AGAINST POSSIBLE OPERATIONAL FAILURES.

APPLE AND ITS AGENTS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OF SOFTWARE PROGRAMS,  DATA OR OTHER INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE STORAGE MEDIA OR ANY OTHER PART OF THE APPLE PRODUCT SERVICED.

DATA and information are not covered under this warranty.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

APPLE IS  NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DIRECT,  LOSS OF, DAMAGE TO, COMPROMISE OR CORRUPTION OF DATA ; OR ANY INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGE

All computer mfg. have near likewise disclaimers.

hard drives are way way too cheap not to have at leat 2 copies of ALL data OFF the computer.  always.