External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS -- UPDATED FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2013

Had an APPLE CARE case closed today with Apple wiping their hand of it and blaming WD.  Was bluntly told to contact WD to retreive files. 

Problem is they aren’t sending me any info either. Will try ringing them Tomorrow.

Have lost info on Thunderbolt Duo and Mybook  Studio 

Has anyone found  retreival software that works

Hello Callohanh

WD support contacted me after I explained in detail what happened after two of my MyBook Thunderbolt Duo archives became illegible (RAID status changed) after an iTune freeze, an emergency switch-off and a cold start. Both Devices were running perfectly for 2 days after the OS X Mavericks update.

I think it is very difficult for WD to pin down the cause as there were not only WD devices afflicted after the OS X 10.9 (including an iTunes) update. People with similar problems rarely explain, whether they initiated the disks with WD or with Apple Drive utilities. I have only set the RAID status with WD software and never used the other software.

But with all the hassle I had after 10.5 to get an almost new network printer running again after any OS X update to 10.6, 10.7 or 10. 8. Libryry hand cleaning, Terminal commands and special Port spotting software. This may be standard for Windows users but not for Apple lovers. Therefore I suspect, Apple is at least part of the problem. As an old experimental physicist I do not understand why one changed running subsystems just for adding some mor improvements or details. With OS X 10.9 they have added some new gimmicks and make unnecessary changes or simplifications to render their systems - particularly with the  10.9 update - less intuitive and full of traps!

The WD supporter recommended me to download a recovery program issued by Kroll partners (OntrackEasyRecovery Professional) together with an activation code). I hooked up one of my “unraided” 3TB devices together and a virgin 4 TB storage disk on a new MacBook and I have been running the recovery procedures already for some 2 hours - with only 11% done so far. Kroll says, it may take several hours

I shall report to “my” WD supporter as well as to the community, what the result shall be.

Its all a pain in the neck and disturbed my believes in safe storage of archived data.

Good luck

I have been a bad boy and not regularly read my e:mails so I didn’t pick up the data loss problem before upgrading my iMAC.  However, I have checked my WD external HDD using Smartware back-up since July 2010 and there is nothing missing.   Sorry if I seem smug but that’s another bullet dodged.

Hello,

I had a My Book Studio 1.5TB and it happened the same to everyone here. Called Western Digital but complains can only be made by e-mail.

In my case I didn’t had a backup, I didn’t used this disk for more than two months - it was being used as archival. When I first plugged it timemachine asked me if I wanted to use this disk for them. Then two partitions appeared as everyone else, “MyBook” and “EFI”, and I deleted all the WD files as you mention here. When I did that and restarted the computer only the “MyBook” partition appeared with no files in it.

I had invaluable information there and I trusted Western Digital that this drive would work properly - after all, they’re one of the most renowned producers of external hard drivers for the consumer market in the world.

In my humble opinion, in order to cover this, I think that WD should create a system in which users could send their external drives by mail to Western Digital (expenses covered) to have the data be recovered by their own technicians.

The users have no fault whatsoever in this matter… What do you think?

1 Like

Also, I’ve a My Book Studio 2 6TB that was working fine after I did the update - the update was done with the drive connected.

But now I’m afraid to connect it back and lose data. Should I worry about this?

I deleted all WD files as you mentioned here.

My Book Studio II  2x2T Raid 1. After Mavericks upgrade got message on screen about incorrect disconnection of hard drive and realised my drive became invisible.  Was not able to connect it again.

Have my entire photo library on that drive, over 1T of photos.  Tried recovery software buy no luck so far. Hope WD guys will be able to help me recover my data.

thanks Woodley have just began trying to recover with easyrecovery too crossing fingers. good luck to you too.

I think WD will have a more refined retreival process given a bit of time.

I ran the Kroll Recovery software on one of my unRAIDed Disks. It was chewing for some 15 hours on 1.1 TB. It seemed to have copied from the MyBook Thunderbolt Duo to a new 4 TB LaCie Disk. At the end I was not able to see any directory nor file on this drive. From the info it described the disk as  4 TB Capacity, 4 TB free and 1.1 TB used. From the MyBook TB Duo (once on RAID1) I still see the two unRAIDed Disks of 3 TB capacity, 3 TB free, 1.1 TB used. Pretty much the same but no repair yet. So the information is there, but inaccessible so far. I shall now try to get some repair done on the new disk.

The Kroll Recovery program recommendend and activated by WD is not for amateurs. I was more then puzzled, but tried to follow the recommended procedure in the help.

I’m happy that I was not at home so my WD 3Tb is sitting on a side , as I newer get a chance to connect it after I installed 10.9 OS .

So now I’m copy all the data on the NAS, just got a new 4Tb HD and installed on the NAS, at the end of the copy I will try to connect the WD to my MBP and see what happen .

I already uninstalled the WD programs with the program they drop online ( see post 1) .

Good luck to all.

After removing the WD software did anyone had any troubles connecting WD external drives? Thanks

Hi Woodley and everyone else.

Easy software thus far,  will try to make scenario concise;  i am an amateur.

i have mybook duo thunderbolt drive 4tb and mybook studio 1tb so am starting with studio which has 600gb of info mainly backup of my imac. Feel a bit like a blind surgion or a passenger trying to land a jumbo because the pilot has died. Normally had studio drive connected with firewire 800 and thunderbolt adapter so i could utilize two thunderbolt ports on my 2011 imac but easysoftware did not recognise drive so connected with usb cable 

step 1 clicked on hard drive

step 2 selected my book volume to scan

step 3 clicked on formatted media recovery ; used this as i had seen this mentioned in forum to be used first otherwise   would probably have used deled file recovery.

step 4 selected file types to search for fat, exfat, hfs+ and raw scan were already ticked  also i ticke ntfs (thinking microsoft) and iso9660 (thinking video)

step 5 scan 

Took about 14hrs to scan and files all genericlly listed with no creation dates etc. 

Purchased new 3TB wd internal drive and placed that into a docking station i have . i then closed up all sub directories on the recovered file tree highlighted that (being all files) and clicked on copy in bar above, this then let me select drive to copy to . i proceeded and took about 8 hrs for 600gb  the time bar that shows when copying could deceive you into quiting as show up to 2500 days to go and only .01% copied nearly till completion. so would sugest you use disk utility to see check on how much copying has occurred . 

the info page from easyrecovery states this 

• Copy Disk - Choose this option to copy the selected disk to another disk. You will be asked to choose another destination disk. Note: The selected destination disk will be overwritten and all existing data of the destination disk will be lost! 
  • so i put a file folder onto my new drive to see if it was overwritten but wasn’t . files were placed into folder called lost along side the folder i created.
  • I don"t feel blind now but more like a bush fire victim walking through a bunt out home trying to piece together anything that is left.
  • Will take a long time to sort through but happy to see alot of photos and videos amounst the rubble.
  • Did notice and expected ,Wd files Does any one know if wd uninstall software will uninstall files from external drives as well?? could be tricky.
  • i am going to try retreiving from duo drives now if thunderbolt connections dont work will remove drives from enclosuse and use docking station to connect  via usb 
  • hope this is imformative and helps

Can someone from WD please confirm that there’s no problem connecting WD drives to mavericks, after uninstalling the WD software with the uninstaller provided by you in your website?
I don’t want to risk to lose another drive.

I finish to save all my WD data to the NAS, so before connecting the unit to the MBP I open my Ubuntu VM to see from there how the disk is

Then I close the VM and I check it from Finder and all seem to be OK, so I go to Time Machine and start a backup.

After the backup finished I remove the drive and then reconnect it , all seem to be OK.

So the removal tools provided on post 1 worked fine for me.

:slight_smile:

Well, the paolol61 procedure with Upuntu, MBP,  VM is pretty much Chinese to me. I Did not understand anything. I’m just a standard user. I doubt that a Time Machine backup would do in my case. 

I have tried the professional Kroll OntrackEasyRecovery, activated for me by WD support.

Although the flight through the procedure is not without traps or blind spots, I tried two of my “unraided” disks, it took around 12-13 hours for each of the DUO drives to copy the afflicted contents to a new LaCie drive, formatted with Apple Disk Utilities.

It resulted in both cases with in 4 TB capacity, 4 TB free, 1.2 TB used, _ but invisible. _ I could not find any hint in the recovery software to get it any better. The volumes are faulty, as told by the Apple drive utilities, which can be opened in the Kroll program.  After a restart, the LaCie drive became invisible.

Pretty frustrating after losing an invaluable archive and many hours of idling around  after this tunes CD burn lock-up…

So, was finally able to use the the Easy Recovery Professional software that WD provided and noticed that the data recognized by the software that is in my disk is exactly the same as it was before “deletion”. 1.37tb.

I just can’t see it… Did this happen to anyone else?

The only thing that I did was to rename my disk from “MyBook” to it’s previous name - that can still be seen in the LED of the disk outside (it doesn’t say the space available that it has).

I’m using the option “refresh disk” in EasyRecovery to see if something happens. It doesn’t alter the data and doesn’t delete it so I saw no harm in doing this. It says that it’s goint to take 12 hours to do this process so I’ll let you know how it went.

ferdo wrote:
Can someone from WD please confirm that there’s no problem connecting WD drives to mavericks, after uninstalling the WD software with the uninstaller provided by you in your website?
I don’t want to risk to lose another drive.

As long as you do not have the following installed on your Mac the drive should be ok. (WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications).

You can now download the WD Software Uninstaller.  This utility will remove Mac WD SmartWare and WD Drive Manager software.  You can find the uninstaller under any of the Mac Drive Downloads sections such as the My Book Studio below.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=124&sid=214&lang=en

Hello Ferdo

Same thing happened to me.  I worked with two WD Duo archives (2x3TB, 2x4TB) set by WD Drive Manager to Raid1. After Mavericks update, they worked for a few days until a lockup while burning a CD in iTunes which required  an emergency stop, followed by a cold start. After this, both RAID1 devices were “unraided”. As WD advised, I ran the Kroll Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro Software on both unraided Disks. The copy process on a new external disk required about 10 hours for 1 TB of data. Result: 4 TB capacity, 4 TB freee, 1.2 TB used, but invisible. The bits of 15000 photos, still a pile of rubble…

And I always thought that RAID1 is safe. Unfortunately, we depend on volatile software today. In the early days there were microswitches to set the RAID status of a dual drive device. That software as well as drivers today always need long reloading procedures, because there were some changes in the update of an operation system. Windows users are familiar with such occurrences. For Apple users this is rather new and started after OS X 10.5. Mavericks 10.9 was the worst so far! So it is time that programmers and computer strategists sit together and lay out  a concept for more rugged “systems” - instead of inventing new gimmicks daily…

Totalsupport wrote:

As long as […] the drive should be ok.

Should…? That doesn’t sound very convincing.  What do the others think?

Totalsupport wrote:

As long as you do not have the following installed on your Mac the drive should be ok. (WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications).

That drive is ok thanks.