External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS -- UPDATED FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2013

Just wondering if anyone received a solution to this data lost issue? I have been using WD My Book Studio without any issues for the past year or so and am using Mac OS 10.9.5. The hdd suddenly got wiped out yesterday when I realised Lightroom couldn’t locate the photos that I was working on. It was still working fine the day before. The drive was being renamed as “MyBook” and “EFI” initially and eventually only showing a single “MyBook” without any files in there. I have plugged the hdd into a Windows PC and was unable to locate any files. Just a blank hdd.

I have contacted WD’s support desk and was told that he has never heard of such a thing happening before and told me I must have reformatted the drive myself and suggested to refer me to a data recovery company. The quote was a shocking $1400-$2400 for the 3TB hdd!!

Would appreciate if anyone could update on whether anything could be done to salvage the data without having to spend that money.

I assume that no one ever found a data recovery solution for this unbelievable problem… I am UTTERLY disappointed with WD over this.
every single one of my 30+ employees in my office will be instructed to NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT MADE BY WESTERN DIGITAL.
Likewise my 15000 or so Twitter followers will be told about this.

dude - you’re not helpful for not posting A LINK to this hidden simple fix…

Yikes!!! 12 months and this comes and bites me in the rear!

Can’t even remember WHAT excactly that I did, but I had to register the the problem with WD, they had to acknowledge that I indeed had the problem, they provided me with a license and a fully working data recovery tool (which shall not be named…because I can’t remember) and I used said software to get my drive back.

Basically the data was mostly there, but either I did something wrong before I used the correct software (I think I did, but can’t be sure either way) or data was corrupted. I had stored a lot of GoPro raw footage and afterwards I got a lot of apparently random filenames (in series) and some corrupt avi files, some duplicates and some empty files. I tried editing the avi’s back together again but I gave up. I still have a security backup of everything for a another day, if I ever get the time.

Approx 50 % is intact.

I’ve learned this afterwards as well, this type of situation happens MOSTLY because Apple has lousy communications with companies and don’t give them enough information (not at all) about changes to the OS. Things that worked suddenly doesn’t anymore because of a small change somewhere…that’s life.

If I’ve learned something, one backup is NEVER sufficient. Never, ever, neverever. Main computer, daily use external drive, external drive offsite and/or cloud.