External Drive trouble after upgrading the firmware to 2.31.08

Hey guys,

The firmware was successfully upgraded.

But now I’m having some troubles when connecting an external drive to the MBL.

The external drive folder does not appear in the Finder/Explorer after getting connected to the MBL.

The MBL UI shows the connected device with its name but no capacity specification is provided. Everytime I connect the drive through an USB connection, the MBL light goes yellow and I receive 2 e-mail like those:

E-mail #1:

"Following events are generated on your MyBookLive WD.

Event title:Unsupported USB device

Event description:An unsupported USB device has been detected (vendor: %1, model: %2, serial number: %3).

Severity:warn

Event code:1120

Event time:06-02-2012 02:00:14 AM

Firmware version:02.31.08-067"

E-mail #2:

"Following events are generated on your MyBookLive WD.

Event title:Unable to create share

Event description:A share could not be created on a USB device (vendor: Iomega, model: Iomega HDD USB2.0 Drive, serial number: S07I2****************, file system: vfat, label: , share name: Iomega_HDD_USB2_0_Drive).

Severity:warn

Event code:1122

Event time:06-02-2012 02:57:49 AM

Firmware version:02.31.08-067"

This external drive had been working with MBL before the firmware upgrade, and I’ve already checked if it’s working when connected to a PC/Mac. Everything seems ok.

Any idea guys?

Please try reporting this an issue

WD regularly check those for bugs on firmwares and to see if required to patch

We would need to see your system logs in order to help identify the problem.you can pm me to send the logs over.

What file system is on the external drive?

Try rebooting the Duo without the external drive inserted, then after it boots up, plug it back in.

I am receiveing tons of messages from my My Book Live Duo 4 TB everyday. They amount about 20 per day.

I have attached a powered external USB hub. In that hub I have attached an older My Book 2 TB.

The messages are like those below.

What log files and to whom should I send them to? Thanks.

Unsupported USB device
An unsupported USB device has been detected (vendor: %1, model: %2, serial number: %3).
Wed 01 Aug 2012 03:47:22 PM BRT

Unsupported USB device
An unsupported USB device has been detected (vendor: Generic, model: External, serial number: 39514635304B4B3220202020).
Wed 01 Aug 2012 04:02:57 PM BRT

Unable to create share
A share could not be created on a USB device (vendor: Generic, model: External, serial number: 39514635304B4B3220202020, file system: ntfs, label: , share name: External).

Seems pretty clear to me:

I  have attached a powered external USB hub. 

THAT is the Unsupported Device the error is reporting.

You cannot use USB hubs.

Are you sure? It is stated in the user manual, page 129 (english version), under Connecting a USB HARD Drive Overview :

"You can attach a powered USB hub to the external USB port and attach up to seven USB devices to the hub."

The My Book 2TB is recognized and My Book Live Duo creates a share for it, besides those many complaints. Maybe my USB Hub is the problem in the sense that this one that I have is not being recognized properly (I am facing other problems like sometimes not being able to reach my shares, etc, but I think it could be related to this USB device recognition problem).

Ugh!  Apparently I’m NOT sure.  :)   I had not seen that before.