External Access keeps Failing?

Hello All,

I have a My cloud 4tb with the latest 2.xx.xx firmware. I updated the firmware before I started putting any files on the drive. I followed much of the instructions from the Sticky before you RMA post. It was Very helpful. I have my drive set up with a static IP address and the only service I’m running on the drive is cloud access. That’s all I wanted from this drive.

I have Cloud Service: ON
Connection status Shows: Connected and shows Port Forwarding connection established
USB Content availability is turned: Off

I have Drive sleep turned: Off
The LED is turned : On

Mac Backups is turned: Off

Under Network Profile It shows that I have internet Access

Network mode is set to: Static
FTP access is: Off
SSH is: OFF

Everything in the media tab is: Off.

I can access everything on my local network perfectly but not from outside of my network. If I try to use the App on my phone with wifi turned off I get a connection error (905)

Now here is the strange thing. If I go through the Static IP setup process without changing any settings I can connect with my phone app for a few minutes but then stops after a little while.

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong here? The only reason I got this drive was so that I could have something to back up to from my smart phone and this is the one thing that I still can’t get to work right.

1 Like

Sounds like your router is not holding stateful connections open. Instead of trying to let it just use temporary port assigns through normal NAT operation, you need to give it hard port forwarding assignments for open ports, so that the cloud services daemon can remain stateful.

Yes. That is a mouthful, I know.

Here it is in English just the same:

When your router gets a request to establish a connection with a device behind it, from across the internet, it checks a table of previously opened (stateful) connections. If no outbound connections have been made, the router refuses the inbound connection request. In order for a connection to be established, it has to be initiated from behind the firewall (outbound), which then creates a temporary active (stateful) entry in this list. Return communications can then succeed as long as the connection remains stateful. It will stop being stateful after a timeout period. This is by design, and is how normal Network Address Translation (NAT) firewalls work by default. It sounds like this is what your problem is-- Works for a short while after manually starting a connection inside your network (creates temporary stateful entry), then stops working some arbitrary amount of time later (when the statefulness of the connection becomes stale.)

If you are running a dedicated service or device that needs to always be reachable from the outside world, without the service initiating the connection first, then you need to establish a permanent port forwarding rule, which holds the connection as stateful forever (or until you turn the rule off, whichever happens first… LOL.)

Setting up a port forwarding rule on the router is router specific. Consult the user manual for your router on how to accomplish this. Typically, it requires the the device hosting the dedicated service to have a statically assigned IP address. See the MyCloud manual on how to accomplish that.

You will need to know what port numbers to forward. Sadly, I do not use the MyCloud.com cloud connection arbitration service, so I have no idea what ports it wants to use. Others here can probably help you with that though.

1 Like

Check to see if your router is rebooting for any reason, and, if it does, whether it is given a new IP address by your ISP each time. Mine does.

If so, the MyCloud in port forwarding mode cannot cope with such IP changes. It shows cloud access as ‘port forwarding connection established’, but if the router’s IP address has changed, it isn’t. The only way to re-establish the connection is to toggle Cloud Access off and on.

I already have set up port forwarding for the 2 ports specified by western digital on my router. And I don’t believe that my wan ip has changed in the past few days that I habe been trying to get this figured out.

Did you establish the app connection via WiFi?

If so, try using the app to delete that connection (settings/manage devices/swipe left), turn off WiFi on your phone, and re-establish the connection via mobile data.

Originally yes but it did work over mobile data also for a short time. Just the other day I uninstalled it and reinstalled it while I waa on the phone with tech support and we were unable to get it to connect over mobile data until after I went through the static ip setup process.

Holly Cow I Fixed it!!!

Now I’m going to post what I did because this process seems really unintuitive for WD to set it up this way.

This did end up being a port forwarding issue but not for a lac of trying.

I did have the port forwarding properly set up on my router to start.

Then original I went into the Network Tab of the settings on the My Cloud device (again My Firmware version is 2.30.165) I scrolled to the bottom and added the Http and Https ports for 80 and 443 respectively. In the Picture below you can see those lines and if you could click and view the details it would confirm what I’m saying.

So With the port forwarding in the Router set up and the Seeing what I had done here in the my cloud set up I though I was done.

So here is what you need to do next in case you are having the same issue that I was having.

Under Settings in the General Tab scroll down to the cloud access section. It of course should already be turned on but off to the right of the on/off switch there should be a configure link. Circled in the picture below.

When you click that link it takes you here:

The Fist time I looked in here I figured Auto was fine and left it alone and Actually kind of forgot that it was here. But actually you need to change it to manual which will then make it look like this:

I hit Apply and from that moment on I have been able to remotely access my cloud drive with out any issues. I hope someone else can use this to solve there problem as well. Good Luck!!!

1 Like

‘Auto’ uses UPnP control of your router to set up port forwarding. If you have, sensibly, disabled UPnP control of your router (it’s a security vulnerability), auto won’t be able to configure port forwarding.

The little ‘i’ information help button tells you all this. Sadly, the ‘learn more’ link on manual mode appears to be dead…

It’s also described pretty clearly in the user manual.

The MyCloud always listens on ports 80 and 443. You have to set the external ports in the MyCloud dialogue, and use your router port forwarding to map the defined external ports to internal ports 80 and 443, as appropriate.

A_Ninja_Racer I have followed your steps on the 2nd to last post on setting up the 433 and 80 ports and still can not get it to work. I am following the steps listed here to connected to it but no luck: My Cloud: Configure FTP Server Access

I guess on cpt_paranoia comments I am not sure what I should setup on my router. Do I need to set something up in my UPnP section on my router page?

Those instructions are for FTP access.

Do you want FTP access, or do you want to be able to use the WD Mobile app or MyCloud.com? They are not the same.

For app/MyCloud.com access, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router. You will need to consult the manual for your router to find out how to do this. Usually, it involves creating a port forwarding rule, which will forward traffic received on an external IP port to an internal port. You then apply this rule to a device, such as the MyCloud.

You then configure cloud access ports on the MyCloud, giving it the external port IDs you have declared in the rule.

e.g.

Rule:
forward external port 8080 to internal port 80
forward external port 8443 to internal port 443

MyCloud cloud access configure:
http port 8080
https port 8443

1 Like

Makes sense. I am able to use the Mycloud.com and access my NAS. I am looking to create an FTP so I can have a mapable drive away from the NAS (i.e. on a different network). Thoughts?

I’ve not used FTP (not secure in delivery). But there have been quite a few threads on it, including how to add use SSH to make it secure (SFTP).

The standard FTP port 22 is often blocked by ISP-supplied routers (due to the insecure nature); use the port mapping to overcome this, and direct your FTP browser to the port number you choose (e.g. 8022).

FTP is NOT a secure protocol. Your user name and password are transmitted unencrypted and can be intercepted.

If you are using a second generation (v2.x) single bay My Cloud the better way to go if you want to remote map the My Cloud is to setup a VPN server on your local network. By using a VPN tunnel into your local network you should be able to map the My Cloud drive. Some consumer grade routers support being a VPN server. Certain third party firmware for routers also support being a VPN server. Or one can setup a VPN server on a running computer on their local network.

Hey guys, I need your urgent help!!!

I use MyCloud for my little company but I have 7 people with me so I need them to use the info I store there but from 3-4 week till now, is very frequent that cant reach the info out of the same router, I mean, if they are at the office using the Wifi alf the router where is conected MyCloud, “most” of the time (but sometimes fails) can see My Cloud… BUT, if they are at home or at a meeting and try to enter mycloud.com or try to use the app in the smartphone, cant see it, the smartphone shows the warning: “REMOTE ACCESS DISABLED. The acces to MyCloud has been disabled” But if I go to config/general, is enable, I didi what this post recomend, changing to MANUAL portst 80 / 443 and was the same, worked a few days but again fails!!!

I dont know what el se to do

See my earlier reply: