External 4T Hard Drive

I bought an external 4T hard drive thinking I could partition in four partitions…connect it to one of our main computers on our peer to peer network and create images of four computers for backing up. However, I ran into multiple problems.

My Windows 7 computer disk management was able to “extend” my partition to a logical partition. I finally was able to change the partition to a “simple” partition and give both partitions letters. I mapped to the first partition and tried to save my system image from my computer to this computer. I was not able to complete a “image”, it gave me an error. Also, it stated you can only save one “image” to one partition. I never did accomplish making four partitions.

I shared these partitions and gave permissions to full control. Maybe not the best decision. On the network I could not map to the second partition, it stated I did not have permission, even though the permissions were given.

Then I thought I should put this hard drive back together and I could not achieve that task. Does anybody have any ideas how can I proceed from here. Thank you for your help.

Hello,

The My Book drive has been designed to work connected through USB directly into the computer.

If you are looking for a network drive then I recommend the WD My Cloud.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

If you want to restore the drive original state then you can just format it.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX