Extended SMART test will not complete in Synology NAS

I have Synology 12 bay NAS, DS3615xs.

Drives 1 to 5 are WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 firmware 80.00A80.

Drives 6 to 12 are WD40EFRX-68N32N0 firmware 82.00A82.

The issue I have is drives 1 to 5 will NOT complete an extended SMART smart test via the Synology NAS.

I can leave the test running for days and will not complete.

Extended smart test with drives 6 to 12 all complete fine in under 10 hours each.

Could this be a firmware issue with drives 1 to 5? Do they need a firmware update?

But do they show progress during the test?

I have a 2 bay synology NAS with WD RED (3TB) with both firmwares (mixed that is, one drive has 80, the other 82). Both run and finish the tests.
Is it one large disk pool or several pools?

In case someone comes here looking for more info on this:

this link just answered - Synology doesn’t monitor their own forum and has not a solution for the mentioned issue.
Nice help. Thx

FYI, the first time I ran the Synology extended test it hung at 90% for two days. I then ran the WD Lifeguard extended test to completion - which found a bad sector that it repaired.

Subsequently I re-ran the Synology extended test and it completed in approximately the estimated time (722 minutes for a 6TB drive).

So I think we can assume something about a bad sector is hanging the Synology test.

there is a simple way, how to use basic linux CLI command “smartctl” for control and monitor storage systems using S.M.A.R.T. with more useful information, which you can’t find in basic Syno DSM GUI version of SMART test.
Tested, works. Done.

When you aren’t familiar with CLI, you can find more useful info at independent forum SynoForum.com. Our power-users have lot of pro-grade experiences.

Many of us can use their own SMART monitoring solutions, independent from NAS, based on docker containers in their NAS.

when you get bad sector/s, you can see it in standard stats from SMART (bad block count)
when you need to be 100% sure you can check it by SSH in your Syno NAS:

fdisk -l … to find device name of the disk drive
badblocks -v /dev/“device name” > findings.txt

then you will get:

• info in your screen (-v param)
  • details in the created txt