Experiencing the occasional playback problems

First of all, I’d like to say that I’m really satisfied with my WD TV Live overall. :slight_smile:

I went back about 10 forum pages (approx. 2 months but couldn’t find anything quite similar)

However, I’ve been experiencing some problems.

When playing certain 1080p-files and there’s a lot of stuff going on (action scenes, horrid use of that noise/grain filter or rain scenes for example), the audio turns off and the video goes into a jerky slow-motion mode, it seems. All I need to do when this happens is to rewind a sec or two and hit play and it’ll go for about 10 seconds again under the same circumstances, (of the scene) in which case the scenes usually end and I can go on with my day and what not. No big deal. At first I thought this was some bitrate-related issue and that my network, external HDD and USB-stick couldn’t handle the pressure. The overall bitrates were often between 8Mbps and 12-13Mbps (live action). However, I’m currently experiencing this on fairly low bitrate files as well, ranging between 3-4Mbps (anime), during similar scenes. I have yet to experience this on resolutions like 720p or lower.

The firmware on the device is 1.02.21.

The USB flash drive I tested with was a Kingston Datatraveler G2 16GB.

The external HDD was an Iomega Prestige 500 GB.

Regular ethernet speeds. No wi-fi.

If someone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. If you feel I posted this in the wrong thread or in vain, I’m sorry.

-Merley

Hmmm.    Nothing seems amiss in what you’re describing.   Bitrates are reasonable and you’re using wired.    Wireless and High Bitrates are the chief cause of this issue.

Can you post a MediaInfo of one of the troublesome files?

By “Regular” ethernet, does that mean 100 Megabit?   Or, do you have an older upstream device that’s only doing 10 Meg?

Does it happen even if the Stick or External HD is attached to the USB of the WDTV, or is everything going across the net?

https://pastee.org/56zwm <- Here’s a MediaInfo log of one of the files I’m experiencing trouble with.

Both the USB-stick and the external were plugged straight into the WD. The network is 100Mbit.

I’m not sure what to make of this. :stuck_out_tongue: It just doesn’t make sense to me.

WOOWWW.    That Bitrate is TINY.    

The one thing I think is odd is the number of reference frames (16.)   My HD MKVs are only 3.    

I think Ref frames take more time to decode, so a lot of them may be an issue.

Yeah I have no clue… Here are some others I’ve had some problems with.

https://pastee.org/7f3vj

https://pastee.org/tch5d

https://pastee.org/wxxy3

Which all three have significantly higher bitrates and thus making more sense that the bitrate would be the issue.

I don’t know a whole lot about what it takes to decode files with certain settings.

But still! It’s a bit weird, isn’t it?

I’m at loss of what to do or try, so any help would be appreciated.

Yep, the ReFrames number is waaay too high.  

The theoretical max for the H264 spec is 16, it’s asking for trouble to set it at that.

Try re-encoding with a more realistic setting (say… 4 or 5 at maximum).  The default value is usually only 3, like Tony’s files.  ;)

Check out this site:

http://wdtv.wetpaint.com/page/H.264+reference+frames+specs

-edit-

I was too slow typing and didn’t see the new MediaInfo!

The bitrate is noticeably higher, perhaps during intensive scenes it’s spiking beyond what the WD TV can cope with?  The reframes of 4 and 5 are at the limit of what the WD TV can handle at 1080p (if that link is to be believed).  But still, it should be able to cope with those new files you list…

After your firmware upgrade, did you do a factory reset and power cycle?  Clutching at straws a bit now.  ;)

After looking at my other files, it seems the average ReFrames is 5 for me.

Re-encoding… Is that CPU heavy?

Because the reason I bought the WD TV Live was because my PC is… Well… Sh*t, to say the least.

Can’t even watch 720p on it properly (tried CoreAVC as well)… And I remember trying to re-encode a 720p file once and it made my PC turn into sludge and rendered it useless for the duration of the re-encoding (which was projected to take a loo-oo-ooong time), so I sorta kinda gave up right there and then. :wink:

I upgraded to the latest firmware the day I got the WD TV Live so nothing’s been run on it with a previous firmware (by me anyways)… Do you think a factory reset and a power cycle could  still MAYBE do something positive? :wink: And what exactly would such an act entail? The factory reset is self-explanatory but the power cycle is what? The “rip the power cable when it’s on and leave it unplugged for about 10 minutes”-procedure? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I just noticed one of my 1080p files’ got a ReFrames of 16… Sounds like that’ll be fun times. :wink:

Re-encoding is very CPU intensive.  Slow CPU means longer time spent encoding.  If you don’t mind leaving your PC on overnight, that’s a good way to avoid tying up your PC all day.  :)

Here’s the sequence that I do following any firmware update:

1)  Hard Reset

Press the reset button on the side of the unit.  Unit will reboot. 

2)  Reset to Factory Defaults

Go to Settings > System Setting > Reset to Factory Defaults.  Unit will reboot. 

3)  Power Cycle (aka ‘Pull the Plug’)

Unplug the power cord from the unit (I do this in Standby mode).  Let it sit without power for 5-10 minutes.  Plug the power back in and the unit will power up. 

It’s worth a shot, although re-inputting your network passwords can be a pain in the nads.

There’s a new firmware coming out soon (maybe tomorrow?) with DVD Menu support amongst other stuff, looks like a worthwhile update.  I’d hold off for that, then try the above reset sequence.  ;)

Yeah I’m afraid it would take longer than a day for me to re-encode…

Besides, it’s not really that big of a deal for me. :slight_smile: It just gets a little bit awkward when I try to show off the supreme device for friends when that happens. :wink:

Yeah I’ll do that sequence when the update comes. :slight_smile: Fortunately I only need to tap in the password for one network share.

Anywho! Thanks for your inputs, PixelPower and TonyPh12345. I really appreciate the fast replies.

I’m amazed there even is such an active community for this product. :o It’s a first for me. I’m used to the kinda product forums with a “3 users who posted something in Russian that’s prolly spam anyways”-sorta deals. I’ll be sure to read up on the threads in here. :slight_smile:  

Hey.   Quite a few of us are here to help.   If you read other posts, you’ll see emotion runs high, but we enjoy getting people happy.  :)

Good luck!