Expanding 2TB Sharespace

I currently have a 2TB WD ShareSpace with 2 1TB “Green” drives configured in Raid 1.  I want to replace them with WB “Black” drives.  I want to see if my following assumptions are correct:

#1 If I replace one drive with a 1TB Black drive, the system will rebuild the Raid 1 configuration using one Green and one Black drive.  I can then replace the second Green drive with a Black, and it will rebuild the array again. 

#2 If I replace one drive with a 2TB Black drive, the system will rebuild the Raid 1 configuration using one Green and one Black drive, but will only configure it as a 1TB array.  I can then replace the second Green drive with a 2 TB Black drive, and it will rebuild the array again.   The array will then be a 2TB array. 

Yes, I will back up the array, just in case.  Also, yes, I could just replace both drives and copy the data back.  I just wanted to see if my above assumptions were correct.  My main goal is to get the faster access speed of the WD “Black” drives, although expanding the capacity is also an option. 

Thanks for any help,

Dave

I’d stick with the green power drives… there’s a reason they’re in the enclosure in the first place.

Hi, sorry if its a hijack but i have a quick question (s).

Is the 2TB Sharespace a 2 drive unit? If so can’t you just add 2 more drives to increase the space?

evadsti wrote:

I currently have a 2TB WD ShareSpace with 2 1TB “Green” drives configured in Raid 1.  I want to replace them with WB “Black” drives.  I want to see if my following assumptions are correct:

#1 If I replace one drive with a 1TB Black drive, the system will rebuild the Raid 1 configuration using one Green and one Black drive.  I can then replace the second Green drive with a Black, and it will rebuild the array again. 

#2 If I replace one drive with a 2TB Black drive, the system will rebuild the Raid 1 configuration using one Green and one Black drive, but will only configure it as a 1TB array.  I can then replace the second Green drive with a 2 TB Black drive, and it will rebuild the array again.   The array will then be a 2TB array. 

Yes, I will back up the array, just in case.  Also, yes, I could just replace both drives and copy the data back.  I just wanted to see if my above assumptions were correct.  My main goal is to get the faster access speed of the WD “Black” drives, although expanding the capacity is also an option. 

Thanks for any help,

Dave

You’re looking to really mess things up trying to convert to Caviar Blacks.  For one, the Sharespace is designed ONLY for Caviar greens; and for two, you won’t get any faster transfer rates.  Transfer speed is a function of the network, not the drives. 

Moreover, if you want, you can expand the Sharespace, but by ONLY using the same kinds and sizes of drives that are already in the Sharespace.