Excessive Time Machine backups -can't access drive

I have a 320gig imac connected via a BT Homehub3 to the Whitelight NAS drive. I have used it partly for shared music/videos but mostly as a Time Machine drive. I never got round to backing up from myoither computers so it is only my iMacs 320gig drive that has been backed up by Time Machine.

Backups are generally around the 200gig mark but recently I was warned that my 1tb drive was nearly full. I had approx 25gig of files the remainder was being used by Time Machine. Bearing in mind that the drive is only 1tb there were approx 15 backup folders preporting to be each 290gig in size. Obviosuly something has gone wrong.

Having switched Time Machine to a new drive I have been unable to delete any of the backup files on the NAS drive. Also when connecting to the NAS drive to look at the standardr files when I click on the Public folder it says that 'it cannot be found.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how can I get this full drive back working again?

DewiM wrote:

Backups are generally around the 200gig mark but recently I was warned that my 1tb drive was nearly full. I had approx 25gig of files the remainder was being used by Time Machine. Bearing in mind that the drive is only 1tb there were approx 15 backup folders preporting to be each 290gig in size. Obviosuly something has gone wrong.

huh!? 15 x 290 : ? 

looks like the files are corrupted on the drive

DewiM wrote:

Having switched Time Machine to a new drive I have been unable to delete any of the backup files on the NAS drive. Also when connecting to the NAS drive to look at the standardr files when I click on the Public folder it says that 'it cannot be found.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how can I get this full drive back working again?

try to connect as a samba share

you can map the drive smb://mybookwold or smb://drivename

if you can not delete files you can transfer the files to another drive and do a factory restore

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Although I could see bothe the ‘MyBookworld’ & My ‘Bookworld_backup’ icons in the Finder they would not load. Mounting it via SMB allowed me to transfer the data from my drive. There were loads of files with randoms letters/symbols with nothing in them including approx 30 image files at ony 25k each. Folders containing shared music lost the name of the Artist/Album being replaced with something like AR§GHJK~L. Not sure I can trust this drive.