EX4100 WD Red 4TB HDD coming up BAD?

TL;DR - 4TB WD Red NAS Drive showing up BAD when recreating RAID but Mac and EX4100 drive tests all say it’s perfectly fine, please help me fix!

Hey everyone,

I’m having an issue. I’ve finally decided after a year that I’m moving on from WD. As much as I like their External Drives, their NAS drives just don’t do it for me, so I’m moving on to Synology for now. That being said, I’d like to sell my EX4100 with 16TB of HDD space. So I cleared everything off of it and set it back to full factory settings.

When I rebooted it to make sure it worked and to take my glamour pics for eBay, I noticed the drive 1 indicator was red. So I plugged it in and found that the issue was that the RAID was degraded, so I cleared it and went to setup a new RAID. Long story short, it wasn’t working.

I’ve reached out to WD Support. First guy told me to take the drive out, connect to my Mac and erase the drive and it’s partitions, and reformat it for Mac Journaled. I did that to all 4 of the 4TB drives, ran First Aid on them as well for good measure, all 4 of them were completely renewed and passed on the first aid.

The drive is still showing BAD. So my question to everyone is…why on earth can I take this drive out of the NAS enclosure, connect it to my Mac and use it as an external HDD, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why my EX4100 is labeling it bad?

FWIW, I’ve also switched the drives around and the bad one keeps coming up bad. I’ve also ran the drive checks on the dashboard and they are still good, they only come up BAD when setting up RAID.

I’d hate to have to spend $100 to buy another drive just so I can sell it. Maybe leave 3 drives in, setup RAID 5 and call it a day?

Thanks in advance

• Brian

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: My Cloud: RAID Volume Damaged