EX4100 RAID5 array still degraded after replacing Drive 3

EX4100 RAID5 array still degraded after replacing Drive 3 and rebuilding the Array. I manually rebuilt the array and all was good until I rebooted the system. I replaced drive 3 with a new drive, rebuilt the RAID volume and rebooted the system. The Disk Health says all drives are healthy, but I now I have a red light on drive 4 and the RAID5 volume says it is degraded .

Can I safely rebuild the array again without losing data? All the disks say they are healthy, but I have the red light on drive 4.

It is suggested that I rebuild the array, but states: “Please note that rebuilding will erase all data on the newly inserted drive.” But I have not installed any new drives???

Not sure how to proceed.

Please advise.

It should look like this; make sure auto rebuild is on.
RAID Profile
RAID Health
Healthy

All RAID Volumes are active and healthy.
Auto-Rebuild
ON

RAID Volume

Volume_1
RAID 5
11.89 TB
Good

Change RAID Mode

Thanks Wayne,

By comparison, mine is as follows - with a fresh HDD in Bay 3, after a manual rebuild, Drive 4 LED is now RED:

RAID Profile
RAID Health
Degraded

One or more RAID volumes are degraded.
Auto-Rebuild
OFF

RAID Volume

Volume_1
RAID 5
11.89 TB
Degraded

Disks Profile

Disk Health
Healthy
System Disks

So my question is… with all drive statuses = Good, if I rebuild the array, will it wipe my data or just clear the Red LED?

If you rebuild the array you will lose your data, remove the disk (hot) and wait a minute then put it back in.

If you rebuild the array you will lose your data, remove the disk (hot) and wait a minute then put it back in.

Thank Wayne, my thoughts exactly. But what are the chances of Drive 4 failing immediately after replacing drive 3 and rebuilding the array. As reflected Disk Health=Healthy and all Drive Status are “Good”. Drive 4 has a red LED, even though drive status is Good. SMART Data for all drives are similar. What would be the outcome if Drive 4 has actually failed and we stick it back in to rebuild?

Should I turn Auto-Rebuild ON prior to reseating the drive? Do I need a reboot?

Thanks for your continued support.

Best regards,

Larry

I know you’re running RAID 5 so turn on rebuild and remove the drive HOT wait a minute and put it back in, it should rebuild the array without losing your date, it worked for me. The second try is remove the drive HOT and let it rebuild for a while then put it back in. I have a MY Book 1230 3 TB drive attached to USB port 1 and copy my really important date to it when I have drive errors.

Well, I decided to purchase a new drive for bay 4 so that there was less chance of failure. I turned on Auto-Rebuild ON prior to reseating the new drive HOT, per your suggestion.

Everything went well and my array is Healthy again. Thank you for your assistance with this. You have been a great help.

-Larry