EX4 with JBOD as media server

Hi everyone,
So I was planning on buying an EX4 and using it as a media server.

The idea is that I put 2 12TB drives in a JBOD array so I can just add more drives later when they are full.

I have encountered some questions which some of you hopefully can answer:

1. Can I add or remove drives to the JBOD array without reformatting all drives (e.g. removing one drive still lets me keep the files on the other drives)?
  2. How will the file structure look when I connect the My Cloud to my TV via LG Smart Share? Will there be a different folder for each drive or can I browse the contents of all drives in one place?

@lugg3
You are asking in the sub-forum for the single bay/single drive WDMYCLOUD. You should place your topic in the sub-forum for the device you are thinking about purchasing.

Latest My Cloud OS 5 Personal & Network Attached Storage/My Cloud EX Series topics - WD Community

Welcome @lugg3 to the community!

I realize I’m a bit late to answer but hopefully this helps:

1. Yes, I believe so though I don’t personally use JBOD.
  2. With JBOD you’ll only be able to assign “Shares” to a specific drive. If you wanted a Share to be able to access all 24TBs, you’d want to look at using Spanning. The below page is helpful for understanding the types of RAID supported by the EX2 & EX4. When you connect to the NAS, you are presented with a list of all Shares, you then select a specific one to view.

https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/#rhsyns=%20&t=MyCloud%2FStorage%2FStorage.htm

#WDUserRewards

Spanning JBOD implies that if one drive fails. . .I believe you lose all data.

JBOD is a good choice; but I would use a 1 volume per 1 disk setup. If you do that; you can replace/install drives at will