EX4 Fast Enough for Video

I see for some of the posts that there are mentions of the unit’s speed. Has anyone had any problems using this unit to stream videos to DLNA capable units? Any ideas of how many streams this unit can handle?

Thanks

I haven’t had any trouble streaming video via Network Shares, but I haven’t tried DLNA on it.

But given that typical READ speeds on this drive are between 40-50 megabytes per second, it should be able to stream at least 3 or 4 full HD BD rips simultaneously.

I can tell you that the unit does a pretty good job with streaming to multiple devices if the Internet connection is top tier. I use the EX4 a lot for media and have given access to friends and family so they can watch movies and tv shows(all are either 720p or 1080p). Some say they have no problem and others say it plays a bit then stops and loads and plays a bit more. Those users have the poorer quality Internet for which I tell them to just download the movie in the app or to the desktop and then you will have no issue. 

As for DLNA the only issue I had with it was that from time to time some movies even though they were mp4 or mkv were not visible on my tv to play. In addition, a smaller problem was that if I downloaded a movie from the Internet and then went to change the long random name of it to the proper name (ie.   asdfaf Lords dgdf of asfsdf thering asfa.mp4 TO LordoftheRings.mp4) it would show up on the DLNA player as the long set of characters

I would not rely on it. My EX4 16TB can only handle ONE (1) 1080 video at a time before clogging and locking up. And that it with both the computer and the EX4 connected to the same newer, high speed D-Link router.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Thomas4Williams wrote:

I would not rely on it. My EX4 16TB can only handle ONE (1) 1080 video at a time before clogging and locking up. And that it with both the computer and the EX4 connected to the same newer, high speed D-Link router.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

I’m curious as to what is the rated speed for the ports on your D-Link router?

Is it 10/100 Mbps or  1 Gbps?

What about the ethernet port on your computer (if connected via ethernet)?

720 and 1080 ok. GB router. MP4 to PS3 and Samsung Smart TV both cat5. Running 3x4TB in Raid5. Works fine.