EX2100 - DLNA and Folder Structure

I have a DL2100 w/two, 4TB WD Red drives, and use it in RAID1 as a Media server/NAS as you plan to do. I use the Windows platform, although I also use iOS phones and Pads (and Kindle tablets, too), I also have my complete iTunes Media folder on my NAS. In fact, I have had it on shared drives connected to my WDTV for years, because the WDTV can play from properly created Playlists I make using iTunes.

I currently use the Public and pre-fab “Shared” DL2100 folders, and I also have created folders within them all. You really don’t need to create and use a new Media folder; the pre-fabs work fine.

So this is my basic structure, and this is what I have in my three main shared folders for music pictures and videos media.

Music: Since earliest situations, I have always put a COPY of my current iTunes Media folder which I have copied from my original folder on my PC to the drive, and now to My Cloud NAS. Yes, If I add media files to it, I need to update my copies of iTunes Media. Since this often occurs infrequently, I usually update the copied iTunes Media on the drive or NAS monthly. I have used some programs in the past to do it, but I feel I have better control if I just do it manually; i.e. copy the newest music folders over one at a time and place then in their appropriate folders. Maybe once or twice a year, I will just delete the copied iTunes Media folder COPY on NAS and recopy the current original over again onto NAS in case I may have not updated something, or they are not in sync in some way or another. I just start with a new slate again. I even continue making Playlist files and copy them onto the NAS, as I have certain mobile apps that can play playlists. BTW, the My Cloud app cannot play playlists. Anyway, I have figured out little “tweaks” along the way to get certain things to happen and play correctly, like playlists.

Videos: I create (from my DVDs) my own iPad-playable m4v videos for my Pads, Kindle tablets, and iPhones. Today, I store them all on my NAS and put copies onto my wireless drives. When I make new videos, I just copy them into the Shared Videos section into to specific folders I created to keep things organized there.

Photos: I recently did a large data-dump of all our iPhones and iPad Camera Rolls on to NAS using My Cloud app. All are in the Shared Pictures folder of NAS, and placed into sub-folders for organizing them all. I have a main folder and wife has a main folder. Within the folders we each have folders for photos and videos, broken down further by folders for iPhone and iPad. I think I have it pretty well organized, and now we can use auto-upload of new stuff on Camera Roll.

Important: If you are going to do a large data-dump of the iDevice’s Camera Roll, see this link about issues doing so. I posted it after I had uploaded my files to NAS.

BTW, none of my music or videos was downloaded from iTunes Store. Music comes from my CDs and another legit music D/L service. Videos are from my own DVDs. Therefore, I have no copy-protection issues, and every thing streams and plays to all sorts of devices. You may find that you can only stream your media from your NAS to Apple Macs; not even to iOS devices. Apple took care of that convenience when they came out with iOS 8.

Anyway, I hope my above tips help you get on your way to populating and using your new NAS. Good luck with it all.