EX2 Ultra RAID 0 drives in My Book Duo NOT Live

I have an EX2 Ultra with 2 x 4TB drives in RAID0 giving nearly 8TB. As they are approaching full I want to upgrade but keep all the data etc.

I have a spare My Book Duo (NOT Live) that is also RAID capable. The insides/guts of both enclosures looks identical and with the exception of the LAN they seem the same to me.

I was thinking that if I put the current EX2 RAID 0 drives in the Duo I can then copy/clone back to some new larger RAID 0 drives in the EX2 using the Duo’s USB connection.

I put the drives in the Duo and opened the WD Discovery app which sees the drives in the Duo as RAID 0 correctly at 8TB but nothing is showing up in This PC etc. The drive is seen in device manager too.

The only option showing in WD Discovery is to format which I clearly don’t want to do.

Am I missing something obvious or being blissfully optimistic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Jon_BFW,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have just done this now. I didn’t want to be a bother as it isn’t actually a fault as such. I just wanted an idea of how to do it.

My latest thought is to get new 8TB drives, put 1 in the Duo and copy the current EX2 Ultra 8TB (2x4TB) data over.

Then format the old drives as RAID0 in the Duo and copy the data back to them.

Finally copying the data from the Duo to the EX2 Ultra with new 16TB (2x8TB) drives in RAID0 again.

Well I opened a support case, received an autoresponder and then nothing.

Is it normal for an initial response to take over 48 hours?

In the meantime, does anybody else have any ideas?

Okay, so four days after opening the ticket with WD they have replied to say that the Duo has specific encryption which means I have to have another Duo nas to move the drives to. I think this indicates that they didn’t really read my message at all.

So I ask again, can I put the EX2 Ultra drives (RAID 0) in the Duo or not. If not am I best finding a supplier of a bigger single USB drive purely for the purposes of copying the data to and from it. But then accepts open box returns if it “isn’t fast enough for my purposes” ??

Anyone ?