EX2 Ultra does not recognize 2 independent disks in USB enclosure

is it correct to assume that the EX2 Ultra does not recognize 2 independent disks in a USB enclosure when it is connected to the NAS using 1 USB cable ?

tested this with an OWC enclosure, set it to independent disk mode, one disk is NTFS, the other disk is HFS+. both disk capacities are supported by the enclosure. only one of them appears under the UBS dropdown at the top of the dashboard.

one disk is a 7200RPM 8TB, the other is a 5400RPM 8TB.

just kindly bumping this … almost certain someone on here would have experience with this ?

i’m handling drives with data on them … before figuring out how to first setup and do an interim backup of everything i wanted to get some idea of how the EX2 Ultra interprets multiple independent drives via a single USB port.

OWC said this is a limitation of the EX2 Ultra chipset.

there was a post about using a USB dual dock and a WD STAFF reply in another thread.

I know my thermaltake dual dock manual had a warning about not all systems ( drivers ? )
not being able to see more than one unit (drive)

I have many OWC device but only use the thunderbolt ports but some did have a USB3 port.

there was a post about using a USB dual dock and a WD STAFF reply in another thread.

by any chance, happen to know where to find that thread ?

edit:

there have been a few posting through the years – this one is newer

Except for keyboard and mouse I try to avoid more than one USB. device on on usb cable

that is the same thread as the one i referenced.

either way, it is some limitation to the hardware or software on the wd product.

i cant really understand why my cloud is this way. the ex2 ultra is newer hardware than my 8 year old macbook pro but the mbp is able to mount the 2 drives in the same exact enclosure when directly plugged in.

one guess maybe that when they came to designing that, they chose 1 physical disk per usb connection.

its something that has forced me to choose raid 1 on the enclosure in order to use it for share backups. not ideal for my long term storage needs but i have some headroom at least in terms of disk space on the usb to get me thru a few years.